1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not in a union, not striking. Can I be told what I have to do at work next Wed?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by becktonboy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

given that these are not tasks which are part of our professional duties you should not be directed to carry them out. The actual duties of a teacher have been agreed (with union consultation) and laid down in the STPCD (with annual, partial union consultation).
    Discuss with your union re.... oops
    As to the unequal treatment, I would recommend you discuss it with your ...

2. Fantastic! [​IMG]

3. Why is it some idiots like to get so high and mighty about this sort of thing?
    Well done Beckton, you're in a Union. I'm very happy for you.
    Tessa happens to not be a Union, and does not deserve your childish attitude towards her.

4. Actually, the OP does deserve opprobrium. Non-union members would be in a far worse postion if it was not for the actions of their unionised colleagues over the years. Beckton's post is witty and succinct. Good on him.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

So where does she go when she wants advice? To this forum? I'm a union rep and am sick of colleagues coming up to me and saying, "I'm not in a union but could you advise me on ...?" The advice is - join a union.