1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not hearing back after job interview

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mumtz78, Nov 10, 2018.

1. mumtz78

mumtz78 New commenter

Morning all,

Just wanted some advice. I attended an interview on Weds and their words were “we hope to let you know within 24 hours”
    Friday evening I had still not heard!
    Now, I’m assuming this means I haven’t been successful but wondered what sort of experience you guys had had with schools not bothering to reply?
    It’s a well run, well respected independent school.
    They emailed for references the day I was there so some of my kinder friends have said they may be waiting for those but I am not optimistic at all.
    Surely they would send a polite email before the weekend to say we had not been successful?
    I hadn’t realised that ‘not hearing back’ was a ‘thing’ until I spoke to a secondary trained friend of mine who says it happens to her all the time!!!
    I was going to email on Monday evening....

agathamorse likes this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's quite possible that they were/are waiting for a response from a first choice candidate and don't want to tell you "no thanks" just yet because you're a second choice. It's also possible that for some reason they haven't taken a decision yet.

If the interviews were Wednesday, and they discussed and made a decision on Thursday, that's still not a very long time.

I'd take the optimistic view that if it had been a definite No they'd have told you by now.

phlogiston and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. mumtz78

mumtz78 New commenter

Yes, that was my thinking. It would be foolish to ring us all and say no thanks when the first offer might decline...!
    Time will tell, just feels like an unwanted distraction over the weekend :(

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Additionally the No1 choice might be doing as advised frequently on here and making sure all the details of the contract are acceptable (not just pay), that should take longer,

If your self-worth can't cope with the thought that you're not The Number One pick then it's almost certain that the interview panel couldn't get together due to several mini-crises and after all, there's no rush for an Easter start.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Independent schools don't tend to work to the same timescales as state schools.
    State schools generally let you know the same day, independents can be a week or more.

'Hope to let you know...' means they might not have been able to.

If it was me, I'd not be feeling hopeful of success, but I'd not totally write it off yet either.

willcott, ViolaClef and agathamorse like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think you have to assume that you didn't get it.

Many schools just contact the successful applicant and leave everyone else hanging these days.

agathamorse likes this.