1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not having much luck with my application :(

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cooks555, May 9, 2017.

1. cooks555

cooks555 New commenter

Hello all,

I am a qualified Art and Design Teacher currently working within a Cover Supervisor role. I have completed my NQT year a couple of years ago through a maternity post. I've got nearly 2 years teaching experience but have been mostly doing Cover Supervisor work. I have been thinking about doing supply.

I have just started to apply for role all over the country to widen my net. Any advice on how to get my first full-time permanent position would be great. Would I be better off doing supply?

Thanks!

2. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

I think get some supply under your belt - long term if possible. Even though there's a shortage of teachers in many areas, there's not a shortage in our subject as far as I'm aware. Therefore experience is key! It also sounds like schools may want you to prove you can actually teach in a long term post!

3. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

PM me and I'll privately advise on your application. Alternatively, PM me and I'll provide tips and ideas.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Maybe your prospective employers are looking for evidence that you can actually teach Art and Design. From your post I infer that you haven't taught your subject for two years but have been a Cover Supervisor. I am not sure why you set off on this route if you want to be an Art and Design teacher, so maybe employers are wondering this, too. It sounds as if posters above have ideas to help you.

5. cooks555

cooks555 New commenter

Thanks everyone. It was a two year maternity teaching post but had to go back to doing Cover Supervisor work due to no roles within the area. I haven't really been in a position to move until now.

I've registered with a teaching agency so will hopefully get some long term supply and will start to apply for teaching posts all over the country (except London).

Thanks again!