1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not happy.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by nashtbs, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I'm a term and a half into my NQT year and I've reached a terrible stage.

I've lost the urge to do my work, I live school day by day and each day I get through is another day done.
    The worse thing is, It feels like I don't care. I spent all hours worrying about my kids, what I needed to get done, making sure I was doing as well as I could, now I barely want to get out of bed. I lie in bed on a morning and think of ways I can get out of school today.

However, I'm a walking contradiction as I will cry over school because I do care.l My emotions are all over the place.

I've already accepted within myself that I'm quitting at the end of the year. I'm aware of the current climate, but I need an escape. This is not the career for me.

I just need some motivation to get through this next term and half or something, because I would hate to look back and think I've let my class down.

2. I'm a term and a half into my NQT year and I've reached a terrible stage.

I've lost the urge to do my work, I live school day by day and each day I get through is another day done.
    The worse thing is, It feels like I don't care. I spent all hours worrying about my kids, what I needed to get done, making sure I was doing as well as I could, now I barely want to get out of bed. I lie in bed on a morning and think of ways I can get out of school today.

However, I'm a walking contradiction as I will cry over school because I do care.l My emotions are all over the place.

I've already accepted within myself that I'm quitting at the end of the year. I'm aware of the current climate, but I need an escape. This is not the career for me.

I just need some motivation to get through this next term and half or something, because I would hate to look back and think I've let my class down.

3. sounds like you are suffereing from depression . go to the doctors and see what they say. it will keep you get out of the pit you are in. i have been there!!! xxx

4. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

It's probably not depression, nqt is just really tough and saying it's depression isn't massively helpful. I've felt the same as the op at times and have questioned if its the job for me but aiming to complete 2years to give it a full chance. I'm guessing op doesn't feel **** in the holidays, apart from when thinking about the work piling up or the lessons you've got to teach, hence not depression in opinion ... Gps are also way too quick to diagnose and give drugs for when people feel down. Fortunately my Gp is married to a teacher and recognised the difficulties me the role rather stating I had depression o

5. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

You sound just like me and your situation is horribly familiar. I wouldn't say it was depression (although it might be I'm not a doctor and don't know anything else about you) but you are definitely stressed.
    I found the Teachers Support Netowrk very useful to help me get my thoughts together and put together an action plan. This helped me feel a bit more in control and less all over the place. It's not for everyone but it's free to call adn they are there 24 hours a day.
    I hope this helps - you are not alone and just typing tht message has shared your problem with peiople who are willing to listen.
    Good luck and I hope the situation improves soon for you

6. helen131

helen131 New commenter

Maybe it is worth getting early release and trying a different school. I was at risk of failure and I hated my job with a passion so I finally decided to leave and I feel so happy. I've signed up with an agency and I'm planning to do supply for a bit to understand exactly what I want and get some more experience before completing my induction in about a year. All my stress has gone and I know I don't have a permanent position but I'm just glad to be out of my school. Don't stay and ruin a chance of a future career by having a bad experience.

7. I'm an NQT too, but doing it part-time because I knew I couldn't the stress/workload/lack of work/life balance. Make sure you've got friends around to talk to and tell you you're doing ok!

8. Went to the Dr's who placed me on anti-depressents, she was more than willing to sign me off, but I don't want to go down that route yet.