1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not happy about the way my TA talks to the children!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Kinky Afro, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hi everyone - hope you are all settling back into the new term!

I have a new TA this year - new to Early Years - she has been at the school for 9 years but with the older ones. She is lovely but her natural manner is aprupt and she comes across as very harsh with the children. For example, yesterday, the first day, and we had a child who is just 3, and was a bit bewildered by life, and she would say things like '...doesn't know what he is doing' or 'well, you've bumped your head now' to the child, in quite a harsh tone, which upset him. She doesn't mean to be nasty, and the way she talks to the children when she is playing with them is great, she asks lots of questions and does all the things we would hope for. I have tried explaining that they are still babies really, some of them, but she doesn't really get it. The other thing she did today that drove me potty was to say, in front of parents, 'ooh, we need to put water in this sand'. I explained that I had chosen seives and funnels etc for dry sand and she said 'but it's no good for sandcastles'. I know that doesn't sound terrible, but I felt like screaming - I do things for a particular reason - Don't question my judgement!!!Again, it is not intentional, just her way. We are going to have a 'welcome to Early Years' meeting to talk about what we do and how, and we are hoping to subtly talk about the way we talk to the children and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to tackle this in a nice way, or where to look for info that we could perhaps give her, without looking like we are being critical. Past experience of her tells me that it is not going to be a case of 'well maybe she'll get better when she finds her feet' - she is like that with everyone!

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i see TA problems this year. both my full time one and part time 1:1 have issues with my planning - choice of topic, timetabling, SEN timetable, ability groupings, the lot. i don't have to justify myself to them any more, i decided. it's not really for them to tell me they don't like it. i value their input and they have great ideas, but they're not in charge of the class. i am.

(there's history behind this which you don't need to know, really. am not just being a bolshy cow. just reasserting myself against two very strong characters.)

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Is there not some training she can do? Our LA always runs "new to EY" courses at this time of year.

4. Thumperrabbit

Thumperrabbit New commenter

Our LEA do these, but for the 1st time you have to pay!

5. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

As she is new to early Years could she visit another school to see a TA at work (do you know a really good role model?) if the course is too expensive.

6. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi iits nice of u to want to tackle it in a nice way rather than showing authority. i had a ta like that once and these are some things i did.
    be well prepared for what u want to say to her and dont catch her off gaurd.
    make a note of her language
    reframe it in the child friendly tone and model it for her while talking to childen
    put up a sentence starter list wth positive language that all staff must use with ch . be polite friendly but firm and say hey lets look togther at handling some situations.
    and when she interferes with ur planning just keep it short and sweet without showing irritation. say things like ...oh they love sand like this..just watch.
    no water in sand today but we can have that another day
    ive been in that situation its soooooooooooo annoying i know

7. Thanks so much for your replies.

She is going to be going on some courses next week and the week after, so hopefully that will help. Love the things you did spectra75 - will try some of those.

One of the other things that bugged me last week was that she repeatedly called one child by the wrong name. Now, I realise that it takes time to learn the children's names, but we only had 4 children at the time! The poor child kept saying 'my name is...' and every time I was near, I made a point of saying the child's name really clearly, but it made no difference!!!

Aaaargh!