1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not got own room

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Violalass, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Violalass

Violalass New commenter

It looks like I might not have my own room next year and will be going room to room throughout the week. I've only seen this in practice once with another teacher, and it didn't look good - they would get to the room when the kids did and have to set up and start the lesson at the same time. It looked like a nightmare.

Can anyone give advice on how to help the situation? I know being organised will be vital but anything else I can do?

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I do it now, it is not uncommon? Not really one for p&c put it on workplace dilemmas. It depends on subject really. How much setting up do you need? No kids should enter a room before you either.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you have more than one lesson with each class, it helps if you can get them in the same room each time - especially if rooms are arranged differently. Get a look at the whole timetable, and in particular the list of free rooms. You may well have been bunged down in fairly random ones, but you may be able to spot some swaps that may improve things. They might have put you in the nearest room to your department each time, but it may turn out that a room further away is actually available more frequently, or that a couple of neighbouring rooms in a less busy department can cover a lot of your timetable.

If your school has sixth form, consider asking whether you could displace others in your department when they have sixth form. For most subjects, the room matters less for sixth form teaching, and if other staff are lucky enough to have their own room, it might not be unreasonable for them to move out in order that you can have 9Z in a room close to resources. I remember working with a colleague who was only part-time in our department, and we managed to get him in a consistent room with each group by displacing a few sixth form lessons.

Negotiate space in each room you are using, so that you can leave things like textbooks there. A toolbox containing basic stationery is useful - it's often easiest not to rely on what might be in the classroom.

Don't be afraid to tell other staff where the difficult points in the week are - they might help. I used to have a room before a teacher who was coming from cookery on the other side of the school, and she was usually late - I was free next, and it was no great hassle for me to get the kids in and settled for her. If she'd wanted to leave a starter activity, I could probably have put that up on the board, too.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Good advice from Frustrum.

In addition I'd suggest getting to know when you have a longer commute between lessons with no break/lunch, and plan to end the lesson beforehand very promptly (i.e. early!) so you can sweep out of the room the instant the bell sounds and be at the next room before the pupils there have caused havoc.

PS In 30+ years of teaching, I taught solely in my 'own' room for less than 4. It's pretty common...

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Foldable plastic boxes.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If possible, make sure you have a key to a cupboard in each room where you can stash paper/books etc. You haven't said if you are going to be in rooms where your subject is usually taught - this makes it easier as appropriate equipment can be in each room.

If it can be arranged that successive periods without a break in between them can be in the same room, that makes life much easier. I am more concerned about that than having a class in the same room each time.

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Some people get really precious and possessive about their room, so that if a paper clip has been moved so much as a millionth of an inch they get very upset about. As a HoF, I once had to deal with an pathetic and clueless assistant principal who taught 11 of her 12 lessons in the same room and was asked to move for the 12th lesson to another room. She didn't half moan about it. I just ignored her.

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It's ok if they're tidy but a nightmare if you have to do housekeeping before you can teach.

I have to hot-desk where I now work and invariably end up working at the station usually inhabited by a particular colleague. I spend the first 10 minutes moving his empty coffee cups, sorting the pens and cleaning the surface and keyboard before I can strart work. He returns to it immaculate, with everything lined up neatly in a row. OCD's a wonderful thing...[​IMG]

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes. A colleague was given a rocket for the state of his teaching room which was caused by the form thast lived there (not his form). I had another colleague who would take the controller for the projector with him when he wasn't in "his" room.

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Its not uncommon - but it can be difficult if people who use the rooms don't clear them. I worked in a school where we had a 25 minute break in the middle of the day. On one day I spent half of it clearing up the room I was to use - wiping the board, re-logging in, collecting in books. Whilst the teacher who "owned" the room was sitting on her backside in the staff room eating a sandwich. If people actually respected the fact other people use the rooms it would be 100% better.

11. Violalass

Violalass New commenter

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. They have been noted and I hope they will prove useful next year.

I'm surprised to discover that not having one's own room is considered the norm. At my school, the vast majority of staff have their own room and I will be the only member of my department who does not have their own room.

I have been offered a compromise that would mean that I would change rooms only at break times, which feels a lot better. I will also always be in rooms designated for my subject. Perhaps my HoD read frustrum and Piranha's posts!

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

In my experience this will make it a lot better.

Glad it has been worked out - to some extent, at least!

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Almost all of our full time staff have their own room. However, we move out occasionally to help part time staff avoid moving too often. I have been lucky this year - 75% of lessons in one room and 25% in a room with a capacity of 20 for smaller classes; both in my subject area. In other years, I have had to move to all parts of the school. 9 staff in Maths and only 7 rooms doesn't always go!