1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

not going back monday

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by damplink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. damplink

damplink New commenter

Good luck to those going back on Monday. I binned teaching in the Summer and now work in an office. Not that interesting or well paid but I' ve now got some work life balance.

lanokia, indusant, Compassman and 4 others like this.
  2. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Thanks, not looking forward to it I'll be honest. Just feels like there is so much to do...I just want it to be summer already!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's a very kind thought, @damplink.

Yes, best wishes to you all. My career was 1980 to 2013. I was 60 in 2015 so I retired early. Quit while I was ahead.

Sorry for you younger ones. I hope good times come again.

4. Buttercream

Buttercream New commenter

I'm not going back either!! I left my current position this Christmas. I'm so happy that I'm not frantically using my Sunday planning!
    I haven't got another job yet, but hoping to sign up to a few temping agencies (not supply) this week.
    Good luck to all this teachers returning tomorrow, I really take my hat off to you all. I just couldn't play the game anymore!!

indusant and ScotSEN like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Best wishes for Monday - and for 2016!

6. damplink

damplink New commenter

Interestingly I still had a classic Sunday start of term anxiety dream despite not having to go into work!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

I left teaching at christmas as well. It felt so good this morning walking my dog in the countryside at 8.30am. I feel so relieved - I will never go back to that toxic job ever.

HannahBeattie, eljefeb90 and indusant like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

@damplink

My nightmares always revolve around being on supply with a nightmare bunch of kids!!! Still!

sebedina and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I am on supply which I actually enjoy (the freedom). I didn't have staff training day today, so could have a lie in and enjoy pottering about doing my odd jobs. Going into a school that i've never worked in tomorrow. I was given the supply role after an interview/observation and was happy to be offered it after a number of previous non-starters. Taking things one day at a time, as you never really know how supportive a department is. I have come across useless SLT who find it easier to blame the supply teacher instead of supporting them. Fingers crossed... I am a little anxious....

So HAPPY I left a permanent teaching role. Like all of you, I was despairing at how awful the job was becoming. The unrealistic expectations and workload was just too much, seeing how staff get bullied and bad managers made it the alternative option. Playing it by ear....

magic surf bus likes this.
  10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Today was the first beginning of term in 30 years when I wasn't doing teaching. Marvellous feeling

11. whodareswins

whodareswins New commenter

I have an opposite feeling. I finished work in July due to bullying,harassment, lack of duty of care and diagnosed ill health due to WRS. I loved my job and my friends still work in school so I have found it really hard to move on and every first day back to school hurts like hell.Getting better, hope 2016 will be better (no, has to better) xx

12. grumpydogwoman

You're too good for 'em @whodareswins

S o d 'em.

But get busy. Get back some confidence. You will!

whodareswins likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm too busy with new stuff to miss teaching. I served my 30+ years with no remission for good behaviour, and actually enjoyed some of it, but I don't get nostalgic for it in the least.

Like @grumpydogwoman I still suffer the occasional nightmare about uncontrollable classes, but the waking up is so much more fun when you realise you're not actually going back to them.

14. m4thsdotcom

m4thsdotcom Occasional commenter

I love what I do and genuinely enjoy the blend of breaks and then being full on for the 6-8 week half terms. I have no intentions of giving it up for a good few years.
    I think I would complain no matter what career I had but the complaints are minor and generally transient. Bottom line for me is the kids. I love working with them, helping them develop and still have a great laugh with a large number of great colleagues I work with.
    I think most people would agree teaching has got harder but the eureka moments for kids overrides anything that could possibly bring me down.
    I work in a great environment with great kids. Give me a board pen, some numbers and hope and I'm happy to keep doing this.

Clive_Candy and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

Has someone been at the sherry again? ;)

Compassman likes this.
  16. m4thsdotcom

m4thsdotcom Occasional commenter

I'm not a drinker. I am just one of those who feels lucky to be in teaching and change lives.
    I'm sure many do and many don't enjoy it but not all people are disgruntled.

17. grumpydogwoman

I know! I liked your post. I thought it was great. The kids you teach are really lucky to have you and I apologise if I came over as sarcastic.

18. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

C'mon, you have to remember she's/he's a maths teacher!

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have been retired several years now, but I remember how I would wake up in a panic during the first year of retirement. Because I didn't have to immediately start thinking about what I was going to do that day, I would panic big-time because I felt I had not planned anything for that day and was going to have to go in and face my classes with no lesson plan. It was quite unpleasant until I remembered that I had retired.

Now, I'm afraid I just wake up feeling smug. Sorry, -- guilt trip. I honestly sympathise with present day teachers and it is why I am usually angry when I post.

englishteach101 likes this.
  20. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

Still get the dreams several years on. I still work in education but don't teach. Keep having the dream where I have the nightmare class with no prep and wearing slippers instead of shoes.