1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not getting TLR, is promotion still possible?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by senco4040, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Posted this on SEN, trying again here.
    I know there are a lot of questions about this so sorry in advance if I’m repeating.
    I am in my first year as senco. I have about ten TAs to manage. The budget at school as most schools is tight. The head only pays an SEN for this role which is the same as she paid the last Senco. I love my job and don’t want to cause problems at school but as my role fits the criteria for TLR1, is there anything I can do about it? I spoke to my head and she said that SEN is all there is. Not sure where to go from here. Should I pursue this or just be happy that I am getting the experience?

All teachers have at least one subject but only the Maths and Literacy coordinators get TLR, other subjects and Assessment do not. Is this right?
    Also If i'm not getting a TLR will I still be able to go for promotion in the future as I will hopefully have experience just without the pay?
    Any advice would be great.

2. Posted this on SEN, trying again here.
    I know there are a lot of questions about this so sorry in advance if I’m repeating.
    I am in my first year as senco. I have about ten TAs to manage. The budget at school as most schools is tight. The head only pays an SEN for this role which is the same as she paid the last Senco. I love my job and don’t want to cause problems at school but as my role fits the criteria for TLR1, is there anything I can do about it? I spoke to my head and she said that SEN is all there is. Not sure where to go from here. Should I pursue this or just be happy that I am getting the experience?

All teachers have at least one subject but only the Maths and Literacy coordinators get TLR, other subjects and Assessment do not. Is this right?
    Also If i'm not getting a TLR will I still be able to go for promotion in the future as I will hopefully have experience just without the pay?
    Any advice would be great.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

It's the governors who set the pay structure, tho', depending on the school, the head can influence it enormously.
    You have raised it, you can raise it again but in the end the head can not whip out a TLR from nowhere, it has to be discussed by the governors, consulted on with staff and an amendment made to the staffing structure.
    If that's the agreed structure, that's it until the governors change it. 'Right' has little to do with pay in schools, except in the sense of 'allowed by regulation or not', your current situation is allowed in the latter terms.
    . Absolutely you will, indeed let it be widely known that you are looking, that might feed into deliberations about providing a TLR for your role.

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Well, I guess it depends on how big the SEN 'point' is...and if you are happy that you are being rewarded for the level of work you put in.
    Right as in 'acceptable'? Not in my opinion, but it seems to happen in primary schools. Remember, that without a TLR, a teacher can't be held accountable for anything outside their own class, so 'leading' a subject probably just means checking schemes of work and perhaps ordering equipment. Personally, I don't think it's right, but hey...whatcha gonna do?
    Future employers will only care about your ability to do the job...I'd certainly make it clear that you are looking elsewhere, fo a job in which you'll be better rewarded for your efforts.
    Mark

5. Thank you for the answers.
    I will continue as I am for now.