1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not getting students..Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Sep 16, 2018.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Unlike last year, I have am not getting a lot of enquires this year despite my good results. I have not advertised online but just simply word of mouth.

Should I be worried? It's so quiet and I still have plenty of spaces to fill

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I would certainly not rely on word of mouth. I'm constantly amused by the way I pick up students through tutoring websites who are in the same class. The ones I have are very happy with my tutoring, but on the whole students simply don't broadcast the fact that they have a tutor: at least A-level students.

I say amused, because it they had, say, a tennis coach, they would probably sing it from the rooftops, but for some illogical reason having an academic coach isn't something students want to broadcast. This is especially true of boys.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

really?:confused:

my son and his friends discussed, compared and shared tutors all the time

4. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

This is the time of year when I would expect to be getting enquiries, so if you're not getting any I think you should consider advertising on some of the tutoring sites.

As regards word of mouth it varies enormously. Sometimes I have got 5 or 6 students from a single student. On another occasion I got a student via Tutor Hunt who I found was a close relation of an existing student, so clearly they hadn't discussed tutors.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I find I get a bit of both. I've also had differing reactions from the students' teachers. Some see it as Johnny is working really hard because he has a tutor. Some see it as a personal slur on their teaching
    When I have a space to fill I share something on Facebook and get my friends to share it. It usually works

6. BG54

BG54 New commenter

A similar thing happened to me with two GCSE students a year ago, it turned out they were good friends and in the same Maths set at school but the second one arrived a few months after her friend via a different agency, clearly they hadn't discussed the matter. My word of mouth referrals are usually from parent to parent rather than via the students themselves.

7. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

It depends on what you tutor in of course. Out of interest what tutoring websites are people using?

8. gainly

I'm only on tutor hunt. I've had quite a few students from there, some of which have lasted several years. I've also had a lot of time wasters and some very odd requests such as requests for piano lessons and for Greek (I tutor maths, physics and chemistry).

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Or are terrified at the thought of someone who is a far better teacher than them looking over their shoulder;).

langteacher likes this.
  10. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Is tutorhunt the only website out there? How do you tutor online? What equipment do I need?

11. gainly

On another thread names of tutoring websites were removed by the moderators so I don't know if we are allowed to post them or not. I suggest you type into Google what you think someone would put if they were looking for a tutor in your subjects and area and see which websites come near the top. Then have a look at the websites to see how they work. I'd suggest going for ones which charge the student a finder's fee but don't charge you any commission.

Kateray1 and langteacher like this.
  12. dadaomangran

dadaomangran New commenter

I am not sure if I can offer you a tutoring position as I am looking for people to do tutoring for preschool children. It's easy in some way because only oral English is taught at a very basic level, and no grammar. But it requries experience or say, patience with children.