1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not getting shortlisted

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Monika001, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

Hi, I'm just after some application advice please. I've been teaching for 7 years, most recent post was non-class based phase leader. I've moved cities and really struggling to get any interviews. I've applied to 7-8 schools for class teacher posts and not heard back. I've never seen an application that I haven't written so hope I've got the right approach? I address all of the points in the person spec. I do it in the order/group that they are given and where possible I give examples. I try to avoid 'I did xyz' /'I think abc' type sentences.

Any and all advice very welcome!

Thanks

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Sadly it could just be that you're too expensive and they only want NQTs.

becky70 likes this.
  3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

What Agatha said. Also, if you haven't been class based you'll be at a disadvantage compared to people with recent classroom experience.
    Keep trying but you might have to go on supply.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

Thanks for your responses. That is what I was most worried to hear as I can't do much about it. I think you're right, I will need to get some supply work under my belt.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. shamandalie

shamandalie New commenter

Don't dispair yet, there's still time! Applications are a numbers game, it can take a while for someone to give you a chance, but it will happen!

In the meantime, do you have anyone who could read your letter, preferably someone used to recruiting? Their feedback will be helpful.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

As your most recent post was non-class based and it sounds like you aren’t currently teaching, you will need to address the reasons for this in your application. The person shortlisting will need to be convinced that you not only genuinely desire to be in the classroom again, but also that you have excellent current knowledge. Also, as you say you are confident that you’ve addressed the job spec.,get someone to read your letter through for you just in case there are any typos/grammatical errors that you’ve missed.
    Don’t despair, if nothing comes up this next half term, there is always a mad scrabble for teachers at the end of the year when unexpected resignations come in!