1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not getting short listed

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jan 28, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, bad luck!
    This sort of thing is really disheartening, I know.
    You could try asking, but they are likely to fob you off with "It was a very strong field. The other candidates were just a bit stronger than you, I'm afraid, so we had to make a difficult choice there".
    As this was a SLT post, however, I have a different suggestion to make: ask your Head to ring that other Head for some feedback. A chat between Heads is much more likely to get valuable details for you as to why you were not selected.
    It may be that you were in Group B, the almost-but-not-quite shortlistees, because there really was a very strong field. It may be that you didn't quite present your current skills and experience as effectively as you might have - did you follow the advice on here, for example, especially the tips in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread? Loads of posters here have said that doing an executive summary, for example, can make all the difference.
    So, ask your Head if s/he will ring up for you, and also read the advice in the Welcome thread and cogitate to see if next time you could produce something that really highlights your skills and experience.
    For an effective application, you should ideally send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    If you would like some specific support for a SLT application or interview, then you can break open your piggy bank and come to the TES seminar on: Moving into Headship or SLT that will be run by TES Prime (the people who are contracted by Governing Bodies to manage the appointment of Heads, Deputies and AHTs), and yours truly (a consultant on school appointments).
    We will show you how to identify your personal strengths and weaknesses, how to assess if they meet what a school is looking for, how to present yourself in an application, how to understand the different parts of what may be a 2-day interview process, how to get your points over in an interview.
    Next one will be on Saturday 18th February, a half-day session either morning or afternoon, in central London. Further details here:
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com
    People tell us that attending these seminars can be helpful:
    • Good news, I managed to secure an Assistant Headteacher post yesterday.
    • I was at the 'Moving into Headship' seminar and we spoke about my imminent interview. I thought I'd let you know that I was successful! My first interview for Headship, so I'm obviously delighted. The course was very very useful.
    • I am so glad that I attended the 'Moving into Headship' course - fantastic timing and great advice - got that job!
    But it's always best to read the Free Advice before you start shelling out the dosh!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com