1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not exactly a fan of the Jubilee celebrations.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3150, May 29, 2012.

1. Just curious really.
    I love my new school and I'm very happy there. However, like many schools, they're celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on Friday and honestly I'm not a fan. I don't mind if other teachers want to get involved but I don't want to dress up or do related activities wiith the children.Just wondered how other 'republicans' are handling the whole thing?
    Probably not a huge concern in the grand scheme of things - just curious really.

2. Just curious really.
    I love my new school and I'm very happy there. However, like many schools, they're celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on Friday and honestly I'm not a fan. I don't mind if other teachers want to get involved but I don't want to dress up or do related activities wiith the children.Just wondered how other 'republicans' are handling the whole thing?
    Probably not a huge concern in the grand scheme of things - just curious really.

3. I'm getting out of it because its my management time and PPA :p
    I do think it's a nice chance for the children to have a street-style party though, play games on the field and have a bit of a picnic etc.
    I can't say I care about celebrating how long the queen has been on her throne.
    I'd just get on with it and make sure the children enjoy it, without going against your views by harping on about the queen too much.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Whatever your personal views on the Queen, the Diamond Jubilee is (or will be) part of history. As impulce said, let the children enjoy it, in future they may look back on the Jubilee from a time when the monarchy is a distant memory - or when William is king.
    For myself, it is as much a celebration of community as of the monarchy itself.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I was more interested in the extra bank hol for my OH to be honest initially. I also was concerned about how to make it relevant to my FS class too, who dont even know who the queen is, as my whole school is having a jubilee week. However I found a fab age appropriate power point on tes and it really opened my eyes to the historical importance.
    I now see it as an important once in a life time experience for our kids. Most of us wouldnt think learning about Victorians or the tudors was unimportant, so why would this be? The kids ideas/ misconceptions about the Queen has kept me smiling all week. I suggest anyone a bit jaded about the whole thing gets talking to a FS child, it will keep you chuckling all week.

6. It does get my goat a bit. My school's intake is deprived and I don't see why those children, with so few life chances, should bow and scrape to a privileged few who have everything handed to them on a plate and do nothing to deserve their position... However, the children don't see it this way. They see it as a few afternoons off from regular lessons to do fun things in the sunshine so I've learned to see it this way, too. [​IMG]
    All those union jacks make school look like we're hosting a BNP rally, though.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Who is bowing and scraping? Not me and I haven't suggested any of the children do.
    If there is any justification for the whole thing it is this - to reclaim the Union Jack from the far right. It is not theirs it should represent all of us and I include in this everyone regardless of their origin so long as they are committed to living in the United Kingdom. I've got my flags up and they will stay up for our Olympics topic next term.

8. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

I am not exactly a fan of the Royal Family either but like it or not they are here to stay for a long time yet. I am neither Hindu, Muslim or Jewish but it does not stop me teaching the children about their customs, festivals etc and making some cultural food or decorations.
    It isn't really about what we think or believe in. The children will be entitled to make up their own minds about the Royals when they are old enough and educated enough to do so.
    To be honest, I surprised myself with just how much I seem to know about a family that I don't really think about or feel loyal to, when answering the children's questions, of which there have been many. So somebody must have educated me on it all somewhere down the line!
    I just plan to enjoy the week off timetable and the opportunity to work with some children who are not normally in my class as we are working with learning partners all week-seen some really nice collaborative working!

9. Well, I know - you can get away with not really talking about it. Nobody's MAKING you tell your class what a great 'job' the Queen does. I do think being a 'subject' is inherently bowing and scraping, though! Meh. I find patriotism a bit gross. Which I realise is a REALLY British thing to say! Instead of British flags up, I have dozens of flags from around the world, which I like much more. [​IMG]

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's only those who associate the Union Jack with racism who perpetuate this ludicrous connotation.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I find this a little bizarre. It's acceptable to celebrate others' heritages yet not our own?

12. My attempt at a little bit of 'subconcious republican subversion'(!) has been to give my Year 4 children a blank template of the Union flag, and then get them to choose 3 other colours to colour it in with, instead of the red, white and blue.
    It actually has made for a lovely, bright display!
    Also, the children have learnt about 'colour representation' - for example, the children from Pakistani backgrounds have included a shade of green (or two) in their flags, or children have included colours from countries they have visited, or have included their own favourite colour(s) etc.
    Even though I'm a republican, I don't see it as hypocritical to join in with the Jubilee celebrations; as others have said, it's as much about celebrating our communities, and joining in with others who do want to celebrate. As a Christian, I have happily gone to a Hindu temple, for example, and celebrated a wedding, so I see the Jubilee celebrations along similar lines

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

[​IMG]

14. Thanks for the thoughts. Have gone with designing our own flag and multi coloured union jacks.

15. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Well, I am not a fan of the monarchy but I do think they are part of our history therefore I have encouraged our children to learn about the royal family. They can make their own minds up. We have had a whole week on the royal theme an we have had a massive party dressed in red, white and blue. The children have loved it and I am pretty sure they have learnt a lot this week.