1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not even shortlisted... Absolutely gutted and miffed at the same time

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sillow, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I applied for a job where I met ALL of the person spec, even the desirables. I followed all the instructions on here, printed it all out perfectly, hand-delivered it...and still didn't get an interview. I can't believe that someone who could demonstrate everything they were asking for (and more) in the relatively narrow field of this particular subject hasn't even got an interview.
    Worse, there were three positions available, so I wasn't in the running for any of them!
    I really feel like calling up and asking for some feedback on my application. It's a shame they don't give feedback if you're not shortlisted, because I know I'm perfect for that job! I need to know what I did wrong so I don't make the same mistake again.
    Really upset and confused at the same time. I don't want to be in my current job next year and I'm trying my best but if I can't even get an interview for a job where I can tick everything they're asking for, I haven't got a hope.
    [​IMG]

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

It really is tough isn't it. I find this cycle of rejection totally wearing.
    Try to keep your head up and keep applying. x

3. Hi
    I know how you feel! [​IMG] But I went to look at a school and they had shown over 50 people round in 1 week and were expecting many more aps who could not see school! If they get so many my understanding is that if say 20 peple met all desirable and essential then they have to find another criteria to get the few for interview as they will not really see that many people they may think of an unseen criteria.
    Sorry I am gonna have to learn how to put chocolate in a post like Theo but fingers crossed for next time!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So disappointing for you.
    However even in certain subjects, which you consider a 'narrow field' there will be far more applications than you realise. There'll be any teachers currently in post wanting to move/relocate etc. Then there'll be all this year's trainees plus some from last year and some years before, who haven't yet managed to find jobs.
    "Worse, there were three positions available" How could this be within such a narrow field? Did you perhaps not structure your qualifications enough for one particular post and mention you would also be interested in the other posts should that application be unsuccessful. So it was too general, rather than specific?
    Anyway here's some virtual chocolate for consolation.
    [​IMG]

5. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I too was a bit confused about a "narrow field" having 3 posts open at the same school.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hard luck, really disappointing for you.
    Have they told you that? You could always try (although you may not get any <u>useful</u> feedback).
    Give it a try, though.
    Best wishes

7. I've had a similar experience this week too. It's gutting when you do the visit, love the school, spend a good couple of weeks writing the application literally spelling out how you meet every criteria and then some! Then you're not shortlisted!

It's so frustrating. I've requested feedback before but it's been so so vague it was pointless. One school I visited had already had over 70 applications for one job! Plus more arriving! And that is not unusual for my area! I don't know your location but I'm in Sussex and we are over saturated with teachers here!

I believe in situations where there are a large number of applicants they'll have a trawl criteria as they can't possibly all read 100 applications! So for example, they'll get rid of anyone with less than a 2:1. Anyone with less than x years experience etc and won't even bother reading those applications! So some great potential candidates I'm sure get discounted on additional and unknown criteria.

Try to stay positive. It's very hard, but I just keep reminding myself I'm lucky to have a permanent job when there are 100's of teachers and nqt's that can't get anything. At least you're in a strong position being employed to carry on looking. All the best with your future career.

8. Really sorry to hear that... it really is an awful experience. In the same boat myself.

In terms of asking for feedback, it's worth a shot. If a school makes the effort to reply to say I've not been successful, I'll send a quick email saying any feedback would be appreciated. Only two have replied and like someone else said here, it was hardly useful. On the other hand you may find out it may be something else ie. one school told me it was because my bachelors degree wasn't in the right subject. But you never know, you might get someone who's got a bit more time to reply with a thorough response :)

9. Good luck to you asking for feedback on an unsuccessful application!

I once got a voicemail saying that I hadn't been shortlisted for a job I'd applied for and was told that I could phone the school the following week for feedback. Great! I thought. It'll be good to get feedback on an application because, as a supply teacher with very little work, there isn't a convenient head that I could ask to look at my statement. I phoned several times the following week but the Head was never available, even though I phoned at the times suggested. I then sent a letter, with a SAE, asking for the promised feedback. A month later I got a snotty phone call saying that they only gave feedback to shortlisted candidates not unsuccessful applications. I wonder if they peeled the stamp off my SAE? Grrr!!!

10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I suppose I should have said that there were three jobs at the school, but one offered a TLR in my field. I wasn't really thinking properly about what I was writing.
    I will definitely email in the hope of getting some feedback, though. Thank you for everyone's uplifting comments!

11. That does sound a bit odd, especially if there were 3 positions going. Have you definitely not been shortlisted? I mean, have you just not heard anything and presumed? Or maybe they're interviewing for 1 separately first and will contact you at a later date about the other 2 positions? Just a thought.