1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not even getting an application form!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jun 26, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Back in the days where you had to send an SAE for an application pack, at least half of the time they didn't bother to send one.

Their loss.

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Not just me then.
    Thanks for that

3. This hasn't happened to me, but if it did I think I'd send a letter to the personnel dept of the relevant LEA. It might not achieve anything but at least I'd try.

4. It's very disheartening.
    Between receptionists who don't send stuff or listen to their answerphone messages and online forms that don't have the person spec or whatever you could easily have a stroke just trying to get a job to kill you before you get your pension.

5. Me too!
    It is all very weird.
    I sent several applications, this week just gone, and received only one invitation for interview, for a non-teaching job, but I had to re-direct my email app, as the original email address did not seem to exist.
    Very strange.
    But I am a sceptic, who thinks all things are **** these days.

6. They get over 300 applicants so they can afford to ignore a few
    Somebody has already got the job
    Nobody cares and lie constantly......It's in the post/I sent it/I can't understand that/Are you sure/He'll return your call/She's away from her desk right now

7. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

I've heard of a couple of primary schools that got over 500 applications for a single post and one which had 200 people round for the pre-application visits! With those kinds of numbers I'm sure some will start to shortlist long before the closing date and just bin any subsequent applications, they may avoid sending out forms to restrict the numbers applying too. Good luck with your applications!

8. Just a thought but could it be because it was available for download on their website and you had not spotted it? Most schools have a 'Vacancy' tab/ page on their school website which lists...vacancies... and which has the job specs and application forms for downloads.
    Perhaps they might have felt that you should have spotted this if you had been researching the school?

9. Downloads are often not available on the day the ad comes out. There seems to be a delay between the person putting the ads out and telling the person who puts the info on line.
    I think that the problem stems from non teaching staff who are not properly trained or who are not line managed properly.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to have a good old moan about the job descriptions that don't fit the job titles. Some have clearly been cobbled together by someone who has no real idea of the work that title involves. they put in a load of 'fillers' and leave out some really important stuff.
    It's a tricky old business just getting and filling in the application forms nowadays.

10. I have phoned schools to try to speak to the Headteacher before I apply for a Deputy-Head post (Special Schools). I have left two contact numbers, and still rarely get calls back. I want to speak to the Head before I commit to visiting and wasting too much time. My first question is always about internal candidates.........Maybe that is what scares Heads? :)

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that May is correct - once they already have several hundred applications in, they may just have lost the will to send out any more details or forms.
    I couldn't agree more!
    In my role as a consultant, I see some pretty dire applications sometimes. (To make sure that yours isn't one of these - open the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum.)
    But I also see some absolutely AWFUL job and person specifications. One that sticks in my mind is an application pack for a Caretaker which asked candidates to enclose the examination results for their year 11, year 12 and year 13 teaching groups for the last 5 years . . .
    Haven't yet seen a job spec for a teacher asking how good they are at unlocking doors and unblocking loos, but it's only a matter of time. [​IMG]
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

12. While I'm on a roll I just mention the person specifications that require a cross between Mother Teresa and Bill gates.

13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

One of my nutty heads put together job specs that left you wondering what was left for him to do. Not surprisingly we got plenty of interest but nobody applying after seeing the job spec!

14. In reply to the OP when I was applying for jobs this year, I have had two schools fail to send me an application via email when the instructions were to email the school for an application pack. I followed one up with a phone call and they said they were still waiting for the details to be typed up and would send it when they had it - I never received one! I didn't bother chasing the second. The former school blamed the admin department at the LA for putting the job on the website too early and they hadn't got all the paperwork sorted before the holiday so were caught on the hop when candidates started to ring in/email on the day they broke up.
    I also sent two SAEs to schools that never returned my SAE with an application form and job details. I made sure I put enough postage, going to the post office especially the by the large letter stamps which have 'large' written on them.
    I suspect the schools were either rude, poorly organised or had someone in line for the post already (probably a combination).