1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

not enough vases - what can I use?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chuckles76, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Can anyone help?
    I have been given four lovely bunches of flowers by my class this week but I don't have enough vases to keep them all in. What can I use instead of a vase? Any suggestions?
    Chuckles

2. Can anyone help?
    I have been given four lovely bunches of flowers by my class this week but I don't have enough vases to keep them all in. What can I use instead of a vase? Any suggestions?
    Chuckles

3. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Jug? Milk bottle? Wine bottle? Pint glass?

Fill the sink with water, put the flowers in the sink and buy a new vase tomorrow.

4. Thanks erp77
    Unfortunately, milk bottles and wine bottles are not wide enough at the top.
    I don't really want to buy 2 more vases as I don't often need so many
    Any other ideas?

5. Donate the flowers to someone who has enough vases?

6. Cut the top third of a 2 l coke bottle off ?! And remove label!

7. My OH suggested donating them.... which I might end up doing
    Unfortunately all our empty plastic bottles were squashed before being put in the recycling bin!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Look up Debenhams website, John Lewis, etc too. A small collection of large, wide-necked vases is a useful investment.

9. You could probably pick up a couple of vases very cheaply at Poundland or the supermarket.
    You will probably have this problem same time every year, so worth having a couple of extras.

10. I don't expect to need so many so might give a couple away when I give flowers as a gift myself [​IMG]

11. Beer glasses.

12. Tin cans/ large dog food tins (all empty, of course)

13. dormouse13

dormouse13 New commenter

what about a clean wastepaper basket? - waterproof preferably.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

What about the lavatory brush container? Maybe a bunch of flowers is just as effective at cleaning the pan after a curry as the brush?

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

17. Florists do a thing where they use celephane to make a vase - maybe ask a florist if they can do that for you.
    Attempt to do something similar with plastic bags.
    Get vases from a charity shop - give them back afterwards.

I have a few vases, but no flowers - maybe we can come to some arangement

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Fill your wellies with water. Voila!!

19. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

This happened to me too at the end of term. I only have one vase and I got 2 bunches of flowers. I split the second bouquet in two huge glasses I have at home.
    Ikea do a good plastic vase, it can be used upside down to hold smaller amouns of flowers or the other way up to hold more.
    http://www.ikea.com/es/es/catalog/products/80186706
    But I'm like you, I hardly ever get flowers so don't see the point in buying a vase. A good (cheap) plastic vase or tub might come in handy in your classroom for holding pens etc.