1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not currently working - how to explain

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by smilesgomiles, Jan 18, 2016.

1. smilesgomiles

smilesgomiles New commenter

I left my last teaching post just before Christmas; I am an experienced teacher and until recently have always felt confident and successful. Last April we had had a change of Headteacher and with that came a change in atmosphere in school, an big increase in an already large workload, long and unpleasant staff meetings, frequent surprise observations with no feedback, unfair performance management reviews and negative, frankly bullying behaviour. The staff moral became very low (it was previously a very happy school) and over a quarter of staff left (all without jobs to go to). I came home from school angry and upset every night and resented the long hours of work I was doing at home. I decided to hand my notice in before half term with the hope that a job might come up between then and Christmas, but I didn't find what I was looking for.
    I am now applying for jobs but know that it is going to look suspicious to employers that I am currently not working. I am also quite scared of getting myself into a similar situation and very nervous about applying for teaching jobs. On teaching application forms I need to give a reason for leaving each job, but not sure what to put without causing them concern. If I get offered an interview how honest should I be about the situation that I left?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very sorry to hear of your difficult situation. And I am afraid that it is difficult.

The main thing is that you shouldn't lie.

And I would also suggest that you don't say To seek a new challenge. New challenge can be interpreted as jumping before you were pushed.

The honest answer here would be To seek a new teaching post.

There is, however, another hurdle here. You must mention this unemployment in your supporting statement or letter. To say nothing at all would ring all sorts of alarm bells. The problem is that what you say must be truthful and honest, not be negative about the school, nor about you. I wonder if it would be truthful and honest to say something along these lines . . .

Having realised early last term that the changing ethos of my school no longer matched my own, I decided at half term to resign for December, believing that I could get another post for January. However, no suitable post was advertised, so I am currently (working on supply/ doing volunteer work in X/ still job hunting).

Keep it very brief and give no examples of things done that you were uncomfortable with. They would respect your discretion and loyalty.

Do take care not to be negative about the school at any moment.

May I suggest that you come to the Jobseekers Forum (scroll down to find it) and ask for any advice you may need on writing an application, and even interviews, when the time comes? There are a number of very useful application advice articles which would be of interest to you at present.

Best wishes

3. smilesgomiles

That is really helpful, thank you Theo.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

5. smilesgomiles

Having realised early last term that the changing ethos of my school no longer matched my own, I decided at half term to resign for December, believing that I could get another post for January. However, no suitable post was advertised, so I am currently (working on supply/ doing volunteer work in X/ still job hunting).

Do you think that I need to write a similar paragraph in non-teaching applications too?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Other employment might not care much what you are doing. I don't think you need to be too full in any explanation.

Best wishes

7. smilesgomiles

Thank you!

8. Am_done

Am_done New commenter

9. Am_done

Am_done New commenter

Ooo my first post and I mess it up - my post is at the bottom of @TheoGriff's post!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Am_done - here is your post:

Yes, that would be fine. But they may well not bother to ask at interview - and if you do, just mention the 60+ hour weeks . . .

Best wishes

Am_done likes this.
  11. Am_done

Am_done New commenter

Thank you. Your reassurance is most welcome. Your advice documents on this forum have been invaluable.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope that they work for you!

Best wishes

Am_done likes this.
  13. smilesgomiles

Good luck Am_done!

Am_done likes this.
  14. Am_done

Am_done New commenter

:) Thanks @similesgomiles. Hope you have found/find something soon too