1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not content with Brexit, now it's Unexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Nov 13, 2018.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wish I had Irish grandparents - or French - or Polish - or....

Alice K and sparkleghirl like this.
  3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Better to have Irish parents - or French - or Polish - or.... than you could get another passport
    (Although, if you had, you would probably be living in those countries already.)

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It hasn't been. The Grauniad was merely relaying a rumour it had seen in The Times:

No 10 slaps down Penny Mordaunt over plan to end Unesco funding

Downing Street today rebuked Cabinet minister Penny Mordaunt over her rumoured plan to pull Britain out of global cultural body Unesco.

According to the Times, the International Development Secretary had been preparing to end the UK’s £11.1m annual payment to the UN education and culture scheme, on the basis that it is bad value for money.

But today a spokesman for the Prime Minister insisted that the funding would continue, saying: "There has been no change to our commitment to Unesco."

nomad likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yup.

That's the Grauniad for you!

[​IMG]

lexus300 and florian gassmann like this.
  6. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

I’m not sure the term ‘fake news’ is applicable since the article was written by Labour’s Emily Thornberry, accurately outlined Penny Mordaunt’s views and was written before the ‘slap-down’ from Number 10. Withdrawal from UNESCO is a policy that attracts support within sections of the Conservative party and assuming that Theresa May will be around indefinitely to veto such a move may, in the present circumstances, be a tad complacent.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't think it was fake news at all. Just a damp squib from Thornberry and a reminder to Mordaunt that it's always best to consult the boss before floating a change to government policy.

nomad likes this.
  8. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

Sorry - don’t know where I got the idea you’d referred to it as fake news. Multi-tasking, must focus better.

nomad likes this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed.

But it doesn't stop the expected result (which was, of course, the aim of both Thornberry and the Grauniad...)

[​IMG]

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm Northern Irish born and reared.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My parents and grandparents were Irish.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

My ancestors were Norman!!