1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

not completing a short term contract

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mrsNibbles, May 15, 2011.

1. mrsNibbles

mrsNibbles New commenter

Hi all,
    I've never done supply before and was wanting to do day to day supply but somehow ended up having a meeting with a school (through and agency) and agreeing to do supply for them until the end of the summer term. It was very rushed (right at the end of the week before the easter hols) and I am massively regretting it now.
    I'm feeling very very stressed and would really like to stop teaching there. I'd be willing to keep going until the half term to give them time to find someone else but is it going to be a problem stopping teaching there when I said I'd do it for the whole term?
    I'm not 'too' worried about references (would my next job want a reference of a supply school anyway) as I'm thinking of leaving teaching - or at least going into TA if I don't leave the profession completely - but is there anything I need to be aware of??
    Thanks for any help!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Don't worry about it. I've just walked out on a similar contract. The school was *****, the kids were in control and I wasn't prepared to put myself through the aggro.
    My agency was very supportive and I was offered work the very next day. It turned out I was the third very experienced teacher who worked there and has walked out (the school is, not surprisingly, in special measures).
    If your agency is worth their salt they will understand and not allow this to effect you. They have a duty of care to make sure you are happy.
    One perk of supply work is the fact you can walk away!
    Now, do it, tell your agency and don't give it another thought.
    If it's any consolation, I was going to try to get to half term but in the end I didn't even get to the end of the second week!

3. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

When I first started supplying, I was given a 2 week placement (no planning involved) but on the afternoon of the 3rd day I knew I wouldn't be back the next day and made sure that i left the classroom tidy, annotated the planning and marked all books. I then called the agency. Luckily for me, they were great. I have been back to the school a number of times and they have been very understanding, recognising that the class was very challenging. Good luck and remember, it really is not worth the stress - get out of that hole and smell the fresh air xx

4. mrsNibbles

mrsNibbles New commenter

brilliant! Thanks guys. I have thise sense of responsibility but its misplaced I reckon!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! At least I can say I tried with my last contract. I finally left 3 days after realising it wasn't for me so no-one can say I hadn't given it my best shot!

6. You must remember the most important thing when doing supply, YOU.

7. mrsNibbles

mrsNibbles New commenter

Thank guys. Told the woman at the agency today and although she ws desperate for me not to give it up ("can't you just work til th end of term??" "Erm, that would be the whole contract...no!") she and I have agreed for me to stay this week while she sorts something out.
    Providing I don;t strangle any children in the mean time.
    Have taken all my belongings home anyway, just in case!