1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not completed NQT year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by donner, Jul 8, 2015.

1. I was hoping for some advice.

I got my PGCE and took up a position as an NQT about 8 years ago. However, I had to leave teaching due to serious medical issues and could not return to teaching due to the need to have numerous surgeries with long recovery times.

I am now fine and would like to go back into teaching. I work in a bank but am spending my day off volunteering in a local high school and plan to do a course in my choose subject (RE). Is there anything else anyone can recommend to help me try and secure a teaching position after 8 years out the profession and never having completed my NQT year? Is the process even the same as it was when I got my PGCE back in 2006?

I would appreciate greatly any assistance or advice anyone could offer me.

Thank you

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Glad to hear you've recovered.

No, it looks like you're doing the right things.

More or less, yes.

As you qualified in 2006, you will not be able to do daily supply in a normal school as you're only allowed to do that without completing Induction for 5 years after qualification. So daily supply in a normal school isn't a way back in for you.

But Academies, Free Schools and Independents aren't bound by the supply rule so you could do daily supply in those to get your hand in before applying for a "proper job".

Academies, Free Schools and Independents also don't have to offer Induction to new teachers (but most do) so make sure you check if schools you apply to will be offering it, assuming you want it, of course.

If you completed any full terms under your original induction, then those are "banked" for you - those still count in your favour.

Only big thing is that the teaching standards you need to gather evidence for have changed since you qualified. The current standards are here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/301107/Teachers__Standards.pdf

(If that link doesn't work, just google for "Teaching Standards" , it's the first link you'll get.)

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter