1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not completed induction. Been teaching 5 years.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by drewthmsn, Oct 8, 2015.

1. drewthmsn

drewthmsn New commenter

Not sure how to start this.

I got a note through the business manager of my current school to say she'd been informed by the NCTL that I hadn't completed induction. I was an NQT in 2010-11. Completed 2 terms at one school during a maternity cover (after completing my PGCE in 2010) and a 3rd term in a different school, after which I was then employed by the school for a further 4 terms. Since then I worked supply for 1 term (in 2012) and have been at my current school since January 2013, with a permanent contract since last September. I am currently being paid to scale (M6) and haven't had any issues applying for work or joining agencies.

I have logged in tonight to the NCTL services and indeed it says "not yet completed" next to induction, and has only recorded 1 single term at the first school I was employed with.

What do I do? I contacted my NQT mentor from 2011 and he can't remember any issues but also didn't offer to look out any paperwork yet. Should I contact NCTL directly? Will I have to do induction again? Be dropped down my payscale? Lose my job?

Any advice appreciated - I am really concerned about this.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are two questions here, in what is an annoying situation for you.

1) Did you actually complete induction, but the paperwork hasn't been sorted?

2) Did you never get round to signing up to complete it . . .

If it is (1) it is just a case of chasing. Boring work, but as long as you DID do it, and it just wasn't registered, you should be OK.

Do you not have any documentation yourself? How have you managed to give a Teacher Number, DfE number, when applying for jobs? Can you find that? Were you ever registered with the GTC when it existed? Find paper for that too . . .

So start your search in your own carefully maintained (I hope) personal Employment File.

And while you are about it, if your Employment File and other papers are not that carefully maintained . . .
    Get yourself organised!

Best wishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter