1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not being told about promotion whilst on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The next date that you can hand your notice in is the 31st May, to leave with employment ending the 31st August (i.e starting at new school in September... failing that the next date would be 31st October to leave December 31st..... As far as I am aware if you are moving to another LEA school, as long as you serve your 13 weeks you retain your extended maternity leave pay (12 weeks at 50% salary)

2. Cadman1979

Cadman1979 New commenter

Hi teacherwannabe - may be too late to be of any value...
    I am in exactly the same position. Unfortunately it is still a fact of life that having a family means that we lose out on the career front. With dd1, I was told that when I came back to work, there would DEFINITELY be a point for KS4 for me - in fact, they recruited a new second in department whilst I was off without informing me of the post (everyone assumed that I knew about it) and they combined the money for KS4 with second in dept. With dd2 (different school, different job), I was promised some money on my return but on my return, I "hadn't quite justified it".
    I don't necessarily disagree with all of this - it must be difficult as a HT giving money and responsibility to someone who may get pregnant again and be off for up to a year, knowing how disastrously wrong things can go if you appoint the wrong "caretaker". However, my resolution as always is that I am a good teacher and a hardworking member of staff (sorry for the lack of modesty) and if I'm not being valued where I am then someone else will be more than happy to employ me.
    Now off with ds1 (yes, I am a glutton for punishment), I am moving in September and probably going to pay back the OMP part of my maternity pay (approximately £3000) rather than go back early. Bear in mind that if you go back on the 25th of July and move in September, you will not have fulfilled the requirement to return to your post for 13 weeks and will have to pay back the 12 weeks at 50% pay if you move to a different LEA (and remember some LEAs also make you do it if you move to another school in the same LEA so it's worth checking) but you will get full pay for the holiday (and this could go some way towards the repayment).