1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not being paid to scale

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by snugboro23, Jan 15, 2019.

1. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Hi - before Christmas I applied for a job that advertised as paying M! - M6, even though I am qualified to UPS3. Anyway, I got the job and they are currently paying me on the highest level they advertised, that is M6. Do I simply have to accept this or do I have any right to ask the Governors to pay me at UPS3?

I am guessing the answer is no, they can pay me how they like, but just thought I'd ask if anyone has experience of this.

Cheers.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Schools can pay anything they want. If the job was advertised at M1-M6 and they are paying M6 then they have done nothing wrong.

There is little point asking the GB as they will say that you knew what the salary range was when you applied.

3. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Ok, thanks Jesmond

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

the time to negotiate your salary was at your interview or at least when the offered the job. You've accepted it so your pay progression now will be in line with their policy. I doubt it will allow you to jump M6 to UPS3 but, as with any job, you can ask.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They advertise the job at maximum M6, they offer you the job at M6, you accepted M6, and now they are paying you M6. So what is your complaint?

They might have offered you M1 …..

You have no grounds for complaining to the governors.

Now read what the school's Pay Policy says about moving up to Upper Pay Range and start preparing your application for September.

Flanks, digoryvenn, strawbs and 6 others like this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You always have the right to ask, but they have the right to say no. Might be worth a try, though, but it is a long shot. You can't even claim to be surprised given that the maximum pay rate was advertised.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you didn't ask about salary before accepting the job, count yourself lucky that you're not on M1!

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I hope you thinking this does not lead to anything fractious, because in fact from their perspective they have flattered you with the uppermost pay level possible which is attached to that job.

Also from their perspective, you wont be "qualified" to any UPS level-it doesn't work that way. You'll need to jump through some hoops and probably make some sort of whole school contribution to get to UPS in your new school, and that does not come from experience, rather from a commitment to do something extra to your teaching role in your current place of work.

That's the way the cookie crumbles with UPS these days. It's not something you work up to and hold as a credential, it is rather something you are awarded through extra involvement, and even then it would possibly have to be something directly related to the SIP. That's just my experience, I'm sure that bit's not set in stone though.

Flanks, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You have the right to ask your HT. (Who, I'd imagine, will say no - as you have already been offered and accepted a salary, based on the range the role was advertised at...)

10. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. :)

11. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I think this is more and more common unfortunately. I have had to take a job on M6 even though I worked so hard for years to get to UPS2. When the 1% pay rise thing is in the news, I think to myself that this is a far bigger issue and I reckon it'll only get worse.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It does have two sides to it. Under the old system, a school which wanted somebody on M1-M6 would simply not invite somebody on UPS to interview. A teacher who had been on UPS and taken a break for some reason could struggle to find a job compared with teachers who were cheaper and/or currently teaching. I recall a number of posts from teachers in this sort of position. Now, schools can be more transparent, as this one was, and say that the limit is the top of the Main scale, and making the reasonable assumption that anybody applying is happy with this.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.