1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not appointed yet again...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by merturtle, May 31, 2012.

1. merturtle

merturtle New commenter

I have just attended a selection day for a part time post. Quite a distance from my house but really lovely school and all went well, I thought. Got through to the afternoon interview round, just me and another candidate who is still finishing off PGCE. I had a really good feeling about it all.
    Finally heard this evening that they have appointed the other candidate. Was told (by the head) that my lesson was outstanding (it wasn't actually!), that the student panel gave good feedback, that I interviewed well and that I was very appointable (I have heard that before). However, the "only thing they could say was that I was quite outgoing, which is obviously important in a teacher, but that I was a bit too chatty". Apparently I didn't treat the interview seriously enough all the way through and I should not make any quips. I wasn't even aware I did! I said I felt that I must have really said the wrong thing and can't even remember what it was I said, I always try to be friendly but not overly so and in most schools this would come over well. Was then told it wasn't a big problem and not to worry about it!!
    So now I'm totally confused. I thought the interview seemed to go really well and was more of a relaxed one than some I have had, clearly I was wrong! Yet when the head just rang to reject me, he started the call with "Hi, it's John" (not his name, but first names only).
    Head also offered to put in a word for me at any other schools in the area I applied to, including one currently advertising (for a temporary, full time post!) but I explained that distance is an issue for me, so not really much help! I think they have made a mistake appointing a young NQT who will
    doubtless be looking for a full time job pretty quickly, whereas I
    actually wanted part time to fit around my childcare. He also said that I mustn't give up, I am an excellent teacher with a lot to offer and that lots of children will miss out if I leave teaching. But hard not to give up when you have only had 3 interviews in a year (out of around 20 applications). I am moving up the pay scale as a peripatetic teacher, getting more expensive, and less employable the longer I am out of the classroom.
    It's hard not to feel that the real reason they chose the other candidate was that she will start at the bottom of the pay scale, and was a pupil of the current Head of Dept!

2. merturtle

merturtle New commenter

I have just attended a selection day for a part time post. Quite a distance from my house but really lovely school and all went well, I thought. Got through to the afternoon interview round, just me and another candidate who is still finishing off PGCE. I had a really good feeling about it all.
    Finally heard this evening that they have appointed the other candidate. Was told (by the head) that my lesson was outstanding (it wasn't actually!), that the student panel gave good feedback, that I interviewed well and that I was very appointable (I have heard that before). However, the "only thing they could say was that I was quite outgoing, which is obviously important in a teacher, but that I was a bit too chatty". Apparently I didn't treat the interview seriously enough all the way through and I should not make any quips. I wasn't even aware I did! I said I felt that I must have really said the wrong thing and can't even remember what it was I said, I always try to be friendly but not overly so and in most schools this would come over well. Was then told it wasn't a big problem and not to worry about it!!
    So now I'm totally confused. I thought the interview seemed to go really well and was more of a relaxed one than some I have had, clearly I was wrong! Yet when the head just rang to reject me, he started the call with "Hi, it's John" (not his name, but first names only).
    Head also offered to put in a word for me at any other schools in the area I applied to, including one currently advertising (for a temporary, full time post!) but I explained that distance is an issue for me, so not really much help! I think they have made a mistake appointing a young NQT who will
    doubtless be looking for a full time job pretty quickly, whereas I
    actually wanted part time to fit around my childcare. He also said that I mustn't give up, I am an excellent teacher with a lot to offer and that lots of children will miss out if I leave teaching. But hard not to give up when you have only had 3 interviews in a year (out of around 20 applications). I am moving up the pay scale as a peripatetic teacher, getting more expensive, and less employable the longer I am out of the classroom.
    It's hard not to feel that the real reason they chose the other candidate was that she will start at the bottom of the pay scale, and was a pupil of the current Head of Dept!

3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

The feedback was totally ambiguous. It would be better if the Head said s/he didn't like your shoes. The issue is simply money and these Heads who are paid LOADs compared to us anyway, can't say that. You were the better candidate but would cost more. Simple. All that nonsense about what a lost you would be to teaching. Leave it out! What utter dribble. Hardly reassuring is it? Don't these people realise they are creating more confusion than helping? Sorry you've having a bad day and I hope you find an intelligent school soon who can match their appreciation of your unique skills by offering you the post! Best wishes.

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

The real isue as poster #2 states is the money.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, the issue may be the money. That is pretty common.
    BUT . . .
    If that were the only reason, then the Head would have given some vague feedback. He has instead said something very specific, very specific indeed, about being too chatty, not treating the interview seriously, making quips.
    Now if that were not true, he would not invent it - it would be daft to invent something that you didn't actually do.
    So I am afraid that you have to accept that, IN HIS VIEW, you did do all these things.
    You might have just felt relaxed, he felt that you were so relaxed that it degenerated into a mere chat, with the odd quip, and not a serious interview at all.
    Now I know that you don't want to hear this, that you are much happier with the comments made by the other posters above. But I'd like you to stop and think seriously about what i have just said, and see if there are any lessons to be learned for next time.
    I am sorry that you have been so disappointed, and do hope that there will be another opportunity for you soon.
    Best wishes

6. merturtle

merturtle New commenter

Thanks, Theo. I have come to the conclusion that it was just a personality thing, they preferred the other candidate (who happened to have been taught by the Head of Department), but in a way I would rather they had said that. Although I found the interview relaxed, I did not behave any differently than I have in other interviews, and I have never had this comment before. I tried to give detailed answers about my teaching practice, referring to specific examples. I certainly wouldn't describe it as descending into a chat, although that is what the Head obviously felt.
    When I had my pupil panel interview, the deputy head ushered me and invited me to sit "in the hot seat". When I was later interviewed, in the same room, I was directed to the same chair and made some comment about "being in the hot seat again". This is the only "quip" I can think of (and actually, the Deputy wasn't interviewing, so the reference would not have made sense to them). I will certainly be very careful what I say and how I act if I ever get called for another interview, but, given the feedback on my teaching and my application generally, I think it was just that I wasn't the right person for this school.
    Hard not to feel the criticism very personally though, the Head seemed very keen to recommend me to other schools in the borough, but unfortunately they are mainly too far for me, even if they had a vacancy.
    Also hard to accept the job going to a 22-year-old on her first application and first ever interview - who will doubtless leave when she finds a full time post (whereas I actually wanted part time to fit around my children).

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that sometimes happens - a candidate clicks with the panel.
    Best wishes