1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not allowed to wear masks

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lucye, May 15, 2020.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

We had a meeting to discuss the practicalities of returning year R to school. I will be teaching one group and remotely overseeing the others. I want to wear my own floral mask when reading or doing close work at a desk. I have been told I can’t do this, it’s against Government advice. I’m not feeling safe and feel very apprehensive about returning to school. Also does anyone know if your working hours can be changed?

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I sympathise, not least because if you're taking public transport to work you are REQUIRED to wear a mask.
    I'd ask your school to do a vox pop on the parents and ask them what they'd prefer. Then -wear a mask !

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

You have to be comfortable doing your job and if a mask makes you feel comfortable then I wouldn't budge on that. In my school it is optional on campus but down to individual preference. And that is respected.

Regarding working hours; check your contract. But it's down to individuals to bear in mind that these are unusual and unplanned for times so places might be grateful for a bit of flexibility. But it should be a request, not an order.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Probably they can but it does depend what the change is, how significant. What change is being proposed?

What do your union say?

5. Rainbows23

Rainbows23 New commenter

The guidance says it is not required but it does not say it is not allowed.

Rott Weiler likes this.