1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not allowed to take books home to mark?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by clangercrazy, May 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/info on an issue that has arisen.....

Having worked at my current school for 7 years (1 year off for maternity) staff have been told they should not be taking books home or off the premises (eg. to mark them). I have not been there when we were told this by SLT, (I work part time now) but all members of teaching staff have told me it was said this week. I have always taken books home to mark. There is so much marking to do. And now, with a toddler at home, I can't stay at school all hours to get all marking done, so it is even more important I can continue work at home in the evenings. I don't believe this issue has ever been mentioned before. SLT are well aware I take books home, I always have done!

Is this a 'thing'? Can we be stopped from taking kids' books home to mark? Where do we stand on this issue? Anyone shed any light on it for me?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Rather than rely on what others say, could you clarify with SLT themselves? It could be that under the new data protection laws, stricter regulations may mean a change in taking easily identifiable things home....

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes.

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Piscean1 likes this.
  5. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

Bingo! Home is home, family comes first, work is what one does to pay for the things one really values. Now all SLT needs to do is rejig the marking policy to take account of the reduced time to do it all. Most of it is a waste of everyone's time anyway, so that won't be hard.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If it's GDPR?

Solve it easily.

Kids don't write their names on the books. They stick a post-it on it with a number. When you return the book to the kid you remove the post-it. Kid can't be matched to book. No problem.

If it's GDPR. If it's some other reason? Then I don't know.

But why your essay on Romeo and Juliet has to be kept out of the public domain I don't know.

drek and agathamorse like this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If you don't have time to mark them at school, they don't get marked - simple.

knitone, mrajlong, ROSIEGIRL and 15 others like this.
  8. clangercrazy

Yes, when I am next in, I will clarify it. But wanted to know whether it was something I could disagree with so it was more of a dialogue and not a 'no you can't' 'end of' sort of exchange.

9. clangercrazy

I don't think that will go down well. In fact, I know it won't.

10. clangercrazy

if only that was how it actually worked........ 'drop in' 'mock ofsted' observations next week and apparently they will be scrutinising guided reading books. So what did all staff do this weekend? ; Take guided reading books home to make sure they are marked! I never mark guided reading. We discuss answers and they mark their own. So I guess I'm in trouble already......

drek likes this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

If you correct in class, then note that in their books, eg. 'verbal feedback given'/student marked'; I had a stamp made saying 'correcta in classe' ((having been corrected) in class) - I'm a Latin teacher - simples!

12. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Someone will have taken books home, then gone off sick. Possibly to hide the fact that they hadn't been marked for 5 months.....

This will have been SLT response.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No marking at home - fantastic. :D

But don't expect work to be marked weekly, fortnightly or even monthly for most classes then. o_O

I'd be looking at self- marking, multiple choice tests rather then essays...'dumbing down', of course...But if that's waht the school wants...;)

drek, BetterNow, install and 4 others like this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'll bet it turns out to be your school's interpretation of the new data protection (GDPR) rules that come into force later this month. The rules don't actually say anything that specific but some schools/LAs seem to think they do. My LA thinks banning taking books home is over the top, but if your school wants to ban taking books home they can. The books belong to the school and the head can make any rules they like about what can be done with them.

But what happens then is the question, how do you get your marking done?

It's something that ought to be collectively addressed by the unions in your school.

oldbutgreat, chelsea2, Curae and 2 others like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Its their rule about not taking them home so that is their problem to solve. You go home and leave the books behind.

16. maximedudeney

maximedudeney New commenter

Is it to do with the data protection that came out earlier this year?

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Of course, in some schools, one worked on paper kept in folders (at A Level, and sometimes with GCSE)...Wonder if taking paper home is also banned (and just how will this be enforced for paper or exercise books? Strip searches on the school door;))

agathamorse likes this.
  18. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Ah - Frank has come up with the right solution and I have to agree with him. This is what I did.

19. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

It is GDPR and some schools are taking it to absurd levels. At my GDPR training we were told to be careful BUT that there had only been between 5 and 12 fines for schools in the last few years and this related to serious breaches. As with anything - use your common sense. I will NOT stop anyone taking books home to mark.

agathamorse, Curae, install and 2 others like this.
  20. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Absolutely. ..and introduce this idea and watch the further decline absorbent ion of good staff I am surea good HT will reconsider . Ask present facts with others.