1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not allowed to leave parents evening

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by artbinki, Oct 14, 2019.

1. artbinki

artbinki New commenter

help needed !!
    I find myself working at a school where, even if your actual parents evening appointments finish at 5pm, you have to stay until the end of the directed time period at 7pm.
    As the School office make the appointments there is no way that teachers can manipulate this so that they can leave early. I do not understand and I’ve never worked in a school where teachers can’t leave once they have finished their last appointment is there anyone can offer any union guidance on this please?

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Its directed time...

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If you aren't allowed to escape before 7pm, you could use the time to get some marking done which will allow you to leave earlier on another day.

DYNAMO67, JohnJCazorla and Kartoshka like this.
  4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

you play the school at their own game. Give no good will or free time to your establishment. That will be many more hours than the two hours you mention. You can speak to your Union for advice

JohnJCazorla and FrankWolley like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with this - and also keep a note of your real hours of directed time (the school should have provided a directed time budget for the year - if not, ask for one!) If you exceed the total, get your union to intercede.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It’s directed time. Seemingly born out of fairness towards all staff.

Is it the best way of directing staff? Prob not, but I do see the rationale

It’s so the RE teacher, with multiple classes isn’t demoralised about doing considerably more than the teacher of Computer Science with only a handful of kids. Or vicea Versa

I’d just use the time to do something useful.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I made my own appointments, and did my best to finish early. Nobody complained. If this is about fairness, it seems rather petty. But, the rules allow it, so there is nothing you can do apart from using the time wisely to cut back on things you need to do outside directed hours.

8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Parents Evening is, as mentioned, directed time. Personally in my school, once a teacher has completed all of their appointments then they are free to leave. Some choose to stay until 7 to do some work, some choose to go home. At the end of the day, it’s a school, not a prison camp. As a HT, I always stay until the end so that I’m available if any parent wants to speak to me or a member of staff wants to talk.

Piranha likes this.
  9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I think its fairly standard. You need to be available in case another parent shows up who wants you. Just do marking

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

In the ropiest of my schools, we were required to be there for a minimum amount of time (but not the full time), in case of unbooked parents - this was a school where attendance and booking was very poor, so otherwise there was a risk of someone disappearing after their three booked appointments. In my other schools, we were allowed to go but were supposed to check first to see if any no-shows were signed in (and possibly stuck in a queue elsewhere).

11. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

My old school did this. It’s artificial fairness, as teachers all work different amounts of times during the week.

12. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

I was once made to attend a parents evening for a key stage I didn't even teach!
    I had to hand out leaflets with some of the children.

13. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

A nice job for the SMT who do not undertake any teaching or for the nice children who come round with the cups of tea for the staff such evenings. We assume you claimed your travel expenses if you went home.

14. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

So you stay to 7pm to make it fair, losing a couple of hours at home but at least catching up on some marking.
    Or you leave at 5:10pm and all your colleagues hate you.

At my current school we all have to stay but the school pays for taxis for staff to get home afterwards.
    At a previous school, bookings were made direct via the office with no teacher input, but we were free to leave after the last appointment.
    The worst ever was one which ran parents evenings from 6.30 - 9-30 pm, with inufficient time for most staff to get home between class and start of meetings AND running these events on two consecutive nights. No appointments, so you hang around to the bitter end just in case.

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I'm glad I didn't have colleagues like that!

NIHistoryTeacher likes this.