1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not allowed to aim for level 6?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Jan 31, 2012.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We are a little reluctant to send children to high school with a level 6 especially as they don't tend to agree with our levelling, often starting their teaching at level 3. Annoys us to death. I think that by sending them up with a level 5 sends the message that this child is able and should be placed in top sets.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't care whether a secondary school agrees or not, if I have children CONSISTENTLY working at level 6 across the board in a subject-usually maths!- then that's what they get. The secondary school can lump it! ( and the way one of my year 5's is going this year, he will be a level 7 next, they can deal with that too!)

( possibly because I'm in a grammar area and the vast majority of the children going on to grammar are level 5's!)

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"Well of course children can achieve a level 6,otherwise why would we have level 6 SATs this year [​IMG] "
    Know what you mean but really it matters not a jot what "level" the NCT allows or "awards". NC levels go up to 8 and above and anyone with the proven ability should be given them in the TA, whatever their age and whatever class they are in. (Presumably, as suggested above, the class teacher just can't be bothered with something they don't expect to have much, if any use for.)
    However, of course, you can't really get any level for just one piece of work. It's what the work of two or three years shows that counts.
    (Do any teachers still really believe that young children do SATs, by the way? Guess everyone knows otherwise. Sort of an "in joke", I suppose.)

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Don't worry, we won't enter our children for the wrong tests by mistake, not many will be heading off to America in September[​IMG]

5. They can get level 6. There are two in English in my school this year, with a possible third. She wouldn't have the criteria for a 6 if she's aiming for a 5a.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm sure they can get a L6 in the school, but the teacher probably didn't put out L6 criteria because your child isn't doing it on a consistent basis.

I mention that because of your comment I put in bold. Writing should be assessed over time (as I'm sure you would agree), so just because one piece might be outstanding doesn't mean all pieces are.

I would only really think about L6 if a child was consistently a high L5, not a sometimes 5b.
    Secondary schools barely believe us when we send up L5s as it is.

7. Thanks everyone. Interesting to see how we work slightly differently at primary and secondary perhaps.
    If we have a child working consistently at 5b (my daughter is a secure 5b says the class teacher, although I can see this is somewhat contradictory and I have a bit of a thing against the arbitrary 'a,b,c' anyway) then I would always give them the level 6 criteria for the areas/AFs that were their particular strengths so that I am always asking them to make progress above expected.
    As for 'not believing level 5s and blanket strting teaching at level 3' - absolutely not. We set and teach our year 7s from day one starting to push them on from their KS2 results - if they come in at a 4a then we are giving them level 5 targets and stretching them.
    It was really the language of 'we're not ALLOWED level 6' that made me suspicious. My daughter is articulate and usually quite precise with the messages she brings home from school so it made me sit up and think.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

LOL, CarrieV - but they do attempt the goodole SATs in other parts of the world - not just in the goodole USofA!