1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not allowed/able to teach A level?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Rpearce1, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hope you can help,

I've just finished my first term in a large comp in London. I enjoy the school, kids and department and am settling in well. My problem is that I am currently timetabled only to teach up to GCSE. My concern is that due to our department being quite large and all the 'available' spaces for A level teachers being filled, I will never get the opportunity to teach A level (unless at least 2 people leave).

I'm now in a pickle as to what to do. My concern is that I'm not as desirable when I'm qualified as I'm cheaper as an NQT. Will I find it hard to move jobs? Should I move jobs if I'm happy? At the end of the day I want to be getting as much experience under my belt so I can eventually become a HOD in another school.
    What would you do?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

STAY. You don't want to be out the frying pan and into the fire. Also it could be that once you've proven yourself as a good teacher they may allocate you an A level class in the future.
    Jobs are scarce don't even consider a move so early especially if everything else is so good. x

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Make sure that your head of department knows that you want to teach A-Level, no change could be made for the rest of this year, but you never know what will change for next year, or in the future, e.g. someone might go on maternity and you could cover the A-Level classes that they take wwhilst a temp person covers your KS3 classes for example. You just never know, but unless you put yourself forward they won't know.

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

You are still new. You are still an unknown quantity.
    A-level classes, although we all seek them, are only trusted to teachers with a dependable track record and significant teaching experience. I'm currently in my 4th year of teaching and only just starting to get involved with post-16 classes (team teaching affair two lessons per fortnight).
    Make your interest known and show that you are capable and, in time, the opportunities will arise, particularly if other members of staff move on. If a job elsewhere arises with A-level classes, then maybe you could move on (not that there are many jobs out there), but equally those schools will want staff with a track record, even if it's just at GCSE.
    That you know your subject is not enough.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you afford not to work at all? Do you want to struggle to find another job? If so then leave as and when you wish...it won't matter.
    If you need to earn a good wage and want the security of a job then stay.

You are, in some ways, more desirable in your second and third year of teaching. You are not much more expensive and do not need the extra non-contact time. You have also proved yourself and can show that children make good progress in your lessons. You would be way more attractive as an applicant with a completed NQT year than leaving after two terms.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I would suggest putting it as a target on your PM review next year as the school will then have to provide opportunities to get involved e.g. teamteaching Yr 12 during gained time etc.