1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not a single piece of children's work on the walls

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by OlderNotWiser, Feb 8, 2008.

1. I was in a school yesterday where there was not a single piece of children's work on the classroom walls. It was all planning, learning wall and targets, targets, targets. I couldn't even see any children's work on the corridoor walls (actually - there was nothing of any kind on the corridoor walls).

There books were marked to the hilt, and again it was all targets, targets, targets.

Personally, if I had to go through this education system I would be wrecking cars and binge drinking. High attainer or low you can only be made to feel a failure day in day out!

2. I was in a school yesterday where there was not a single piece of children's work on the classroom walls. It was all planning, learning wall and targets, targets, targets. I couldn't even see any children's work on the corridoor walls (actually - there was nothing of any kind on the corridoor walls).

There books were marked to the hilt, and again it was all targets, targets, targets.

Personally, if I had to go through this education system I would be wrecking cars and binge drinking. High attainer or low you can only be made to feel a failure day in day out!

3. Surely there has to be some work on the walls as the work in itself is proof that the children are meeting targets!

Some form of work should always be put on the walls as this gives the children a great sense of pride and reminds them of good times if it is something that they really enjoyed doing.

Personally, I love seeing the work of all the children displayed as it creates a positive, feel good atmosphere.

4. This is how it has become in the last couple of years of teaching! You are even meant to stick your scruffy flipchart notes to show 'processes' of things like calculations.
    It does make your classroom look a right scruffy mess! Damn these new fangled ideas!

5. At least the targets cover the graffitti.

6. Personally I think education has lost the plot.

Children are children not statistics for meeting government targets.

I have year 6 pupils in a regular school who say to each other "ooo what level did you get in your recent mock SAT?"

They genuinely get upset if they think they have done badly or let anyone down.

This constant target meeting will stay with them throughout their entire school careers.

I think people need to start thinking more about the children and less about unrealistic targets before children end up damaged by it all

7. I completely agree with you. I too keep saying children are children, our future and not a target or statistical data that needs analysing. I have been teaching for quite a long time now and I am utterly fed up of how teaching isnt a priority any more. Shoved down our throats are learning walls, WALTS and WILF, success criteria, steps to success mats and challenge areas. None of my 4 children were brought up with these 'tick the box for Ofsted' innitiatives and all of them are very successful and happy with their lives. So the education system couldnt have been that bad without these awful things!!!!

8. Hear, hear.

9. I was in a school just before Easter, where the work on display in one classroom was from the last academic year! [​IMG]