1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not a one trick pony

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Sep 13, 2017.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, I thought I'd seen all the evil, despicable schemes that headteachers come up with to screw their staff, but I've just seen a new one.

One of my students has had to reschedule her lessons with me to a later time. Instead of employing the right number of teachers to cover all the lessons, it appears that this headteacher has scheduled quite a few 6th form lessons for after school. So he/she can now provide enough lessons by making the teachers work extra hours, rather than having the appropriate number of them.

Not sure whether this trick takes the biscuit. Last year one headteacher moved the Easter holidays so he wouldn't have to pay some of the school staff for a bank holiday.

I'm starting to wonder whether politicians and lawyers are going to lose their position as the most hated and despised.

install likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sounds familiar... we had the announcement recently that year 11 classes in a certain subject will take place after school.

Doubt anyone is getting paid more.

install likes this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Simply appalling but this type of thing will only increase as more and more students need to be taught by fewer teachers.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This had started for some (minority) A level courses before I retired 4 years ago.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

We had some A level chemistry and physics classes scheduled for after school, from 3:30 to 5:30. None of us got a penny piece for doing so, or compensated for these extra periods in our normal timetables. Is was counterproductive as far as the students were concerned, as some did not turn up and so fell behind. Most annoying and time wasting was the lack of technician cover for these twilight sessions, which meant we had to prepare are own equipment

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. David Getling

Jolly Roger, I take my hat off to that headteacher! Give the man a leading role in Despicable ME 4. He really knows how to screw his teachers. Without technician support, if there's practical work involved then science teachers could be hit for twice as long as those stolen 2 hours.

7. Jolly_Roger1

8. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

There is a thread about A Level contact hours being cut in some schools.

These days schools are all about cost savings whilst still trying to do well in performance tables.

9. install

install Star commenter

Get advice from someone you trust. You should be allowed to come in later or go home earlier on other days to pay back the time. Do not allow this to go unchallenged - otherwise it may go on year after year.:cool:

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Eh?

nomad likes this.
  11. David Getling

Unlike every other school, whose holidays didn't include Easter Monday, this charming head moved his schools holidays by one week, so they did. So I'm told, this head loves money more than his own mother.

12. turkith

turkith New commenter

It almost sounds like you're talking about the school I work at...after school lessons are now common in at least five subjects, with Year 11 English after school and Year 10 Maths after school. We've had so called 'Period 7' lessons in my subject for four years now, but have been given TOIL for the last three; not sure about the other subjects though. And Easter was a week off from all other schools in the area last year which was great for all teachers trying to arrange childcare when they were teaching...

Sadly, at my school at least, this seems to the way forward :(

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Errrrr How do you think teacher salaries are calculated?
    It would be utterly irrelevant to the budget and to teacher pay whether they had Easter weekend in their Easter holiday or not.

14. Jolly_Roger1

This might be true of teachers but many of the ancillary staff are only paid for the days they work.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Lead commenter

But Easter Monday is a Bank Holiday. Regardless of when the 'Easter 'holidays take place, no school is open on Easter Monday or Good Friday. In this LA, the 'Easter' holidays for the few LA schools left are always the first two weeks of April. If Easter falls outside of that, then Good Friday & Easter Monday are still holidays - schools lose the extra days off some other holiday (probably summer). So it makes no odds to ancillary staff's salaries.