1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not a Clean Sport

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zencat999, Jan 21, 2017.

1. zencat999

zencat999 New commenter

Has there ever been an article in the press (in the public interest) detailing just how much teachers are encouraged / asked / told to massage results to get schools to meet targets?

Staff in our department are currently getting roasted to the point of nervous breakdown because our results are not on a par with those of a school down the road. We are all aware that teachers at this school do the majority of the work for the kids (yes, I'm very sure). What can be done to ameliorate this dishonest system?

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

The truth will come out when they all enter the exam room for their GCSEs!
    This is why coursework has disappeared from GCSEs- too much cheating.
    I suppose it's a good time to learn that honesty and hard work get you nowhere in life. Most of my students have learnt this by the age of 16.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

As stated, this is one reason why completely coursework based qualifications like BTEC are going/changing. And why the coursework element has gone, where does 'helping children to do their best' segue into 'too much help?' Some would argue the line was not a sharp black and white division.

Interim internal assessment (end of year grade etc) needs to be honest, not manipulated for performance management ends. (ie. a class teacher/HoD/school overestimating)

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

What should happen compared to what actually does happen can be poles apart.
    Retired now, but I did witness countless examples of blatant cheating in several different schools.
    In my opinion the introduction of league tables simply encouraged the cheaters to become better at cheating.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I'm glad coursework is going as its been a Cheaters Charter. We are in the last year of it at GCSE thank god.

6. zencat999

zencat999 New commenter

I'm in Scotland and in some subjects it's a case of more and more coursework and less actual final exams.