1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nosey parent coming to help in class!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rainbowstripes, Feb 5, 2012.

1. I have a nosey parent coming in to help for an hour tomorrow. She is going to be looking at everything I'm doing and what the children are doing which is going to make me really nervous! I don't have TA support Monday's.

Any advice on what I can do to keep her busy while she's with us?
    I want her to sharpen pencils but after she's done that, what can she do while the children are on the carpet with me?

2. If you doubt her intentions are genuine, can you get her to do things outside the classroom, so she cannot scrutinise your every move? For example, does the library need tidying, make sure all books are banded, in order etc? Could she take individual children outside to hear them read? Is there any corridor display work she can do? If she is not truly there to help the children, she will soon realise that it isn't worth the effort as she won't be in class much and the tasks are hard work. If you have her sharpening pencils and generally sitting around in class she may think it's an easy ride and she gets plenty of gossip out of it for the school playground.
    Good luck!

3. I am sure there are lots of jobs she can do, especially as you don't have your TA. Filing? Photo-copying? Clearing up an area or cupboard? Sorting out other areas ... books/toys etc? If you don't want to encourage her back (coz she will be I bet) then exhaust her and get her to do all the jobs that TAs don't have time for. I know that the staff in our F2 never stop, all three of them, so I am sure you can think of a long list of things that she can do away from the children. If she is really nosey it won't put her off though, she will be back. I don't think helpers should go in their child's class personally but it happens. At the end of the day she has offered to help, she is not a TA, so give her things to do that will help you.

4. Agreed!
    As it is early years I think there is a strong argument for saying to her that it can be very distracting for children so young to have their parents in class, so to ensure lessons run smoothly you would like her to help in a different class. I'm sure your colleagues wouldn't mind a helper if they're not teaching her child so don't feel under scrutiny. Do you offer continuous provision? If so, get her supervising the outdoor play space in this weather and she'll soon decide it aint worth it!

5. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Read stories, share books with the children,my favourite play a game i love lotto games, snap and other board games, prepare snack, wash dishes, help out with a a painting activity eg printing pics, handprints etc, cutting paper, photocopying, sticking pictures in learning journals, working with children on a mark making activity making sure that all children take part so she needs to write a alist. I would say keep her busy from start to finish.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't think a person like this should hear children read, she will be comparing the others to her own and probably gossiping about it to their parents and others. Perhaps she could read to them in the book corner. Also, if you give her filing, be careful you don't give her anything vaguely controversial.
    She could cut paper for painting and drawing, sharpen pencils, find the missing lids for felt pens, wipe clean individual whiteboards, sort boxes of equipment (ours always get mixed up) or take down displays and put up new backing paper.