1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nosey agents!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Keep.calm.and.carry.on, Jan 3, 2011.

1. After having hardly any work with one agency I finally get two days, on the third day they ring and say 'because I've given you two days work would you do me a favour and work a day in a children's centre?' errr No!!!

2. I've been totally honest with my agencies and told them that I work for others, the only response I've got is that given the current climate they expect it! I've always told my agencies if I'm working somewhere else, nothing wrong with stirring up a bit of competition ;)

I got a p45 from one of them over Christmas, probably something to do with me not having any work from them since before October. My other agency are fab, I didn't take them something in because of the snow and they're a bit up the nearest motorway from where I live, but since the weather is better, I will be once I have money to put petroleum in the car.

I get annoyed when agencies keep saying they'll have no problems finding me work: just tell me the truth so I can do something about it! (I know run with an office temping agency alongside my teaching agencies, just in case I'm that desperate for work)

3. AaronLaws

AaronLaws New commenter

Definitely found that some agencies can be amazing, whilst others a bit useless! I'm with 3, and they all know that. My 1st agency is amazing, gets me the majority of my work, knows who I am when I phone and I actually believe them when they say "We'll try to get you something", because most of the time they phone back with work! (Also, they got me a christmas card and little gift!)
    The 2nd and 3rd are not so good! Combined they have both given me about 5 days work, and don't seem to give a damn if they don't get anything for me! I'm lucky that I've got the 1st agency, otherwise I don't know what I would do!

4. girlychemist

girlychemist New commenter

I think I'm signed up with ALL the agencies in the North West and as a Physical Scientist I'm supposed to be in shortage subjects. I have also been signed up with 2 Industrial Agencies (for summer etc) BUT since the recession the bottom has fallen out of that too and what little work has been offered has been at minimum wage.Oh how I dream of a permenant job - sigh!

5. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Agencies have sole agency rates with some schools. That is if they are the first call agency and they get the work because they offer a good deal to the school. When you get called by another Agency it is usually because they are sole agency with different schools and they have used up all their teachers for those schools and have to then call in other supplies when they get asked to send supplies to other schools who cannot get enough supplies from their usual agencies.
    I am charged out for 3 different fees. £150 for a first agency school, £160 for another and even £170 for another. I still get the same........ they think I do not know what schools pay them but to complain might just render me less and less work. They have the upper hand every time.