1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nose stud???!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laura2207, Sep 1, 2019.

1. laura2207

laura2207 New commenter

Advice please......
    I’m a primary teacher/SENCO/SLT, been in my current role for 19 years.
    I have always wanted a small nose stud but I’m a little apprehensive as to how this will be perceived by my colleagues and parents?
    Has anyone had any negative experiences of this? I’ve checked the code of conduct for staff policy and it doesn’t mention it?
    Thanks in advance!

2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Some schools specifically state no visible piercings other than earrings. Some state no visible tattoos.

It's your personal choice as to whether to do this or not, but you have to keep in mind that 1) some people (colleagues/parents/whoever) will see it negatively and 2) your next school, or the one after that, might not allow it in school.

Marshall likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

personally, they disgust me, and I prefer not to look at people's faces if they have piercings. Some of your students, parents and colleagues will feel the same

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

It wouldn't be allowed where I work.

lardylegs and Marshall like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Aren't these a bit out of date?

lardylegs likes this.
  6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I don't think nose studs look particularly nice.

lardylegs and Marshall like this.
  7. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

You have two choices:
    a) Ask the head/governors for the school's policy on such matters. There probably won't be one so wait until they can reach a decision.
    b) Don't do it.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Go for it! The permanent spot look is sooooo kool!

lardylegs likes this.
  9. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

I have one and one of my school's SLT has one.

There are a million and one things I hate about my workplace but they are pretty relaxed about things like this: several people have visible tattoos, one teacher has purple hair, the man is allowed to wear shorts and lots of people have loads and loads of ear piercings.

I don't understand the hatin': I think a little nose stud is really pretty.

laura2207 likes this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I went through a phase of wanting one, and I asked the Head if I would be allowed. He said yes, of course. I then went off the idea so never got it done!

lardylegs likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want one, then have one.
    If you aren't sure, then don't.

Your current school may not have a problem, but a later one might.

It should be entirely your free choice.
    I don't like beards, but would never, ever suggest someone doesn't grow a beard because I don't like it.
    It's your face, it's your choice.

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've worked for HTs where a nose stud would be no problem at all. I've also worked for HTs where it would have been an absolute no; visible tattoos were also not allowed. After such a long time at your present school, I'm sure you know how your Head feels - but, as others have said, another school might not be happy in the future.

lardylegs and laura2207 like this.
  13. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

It’s not in policy either because it’s a non issue for them or they’ve not needed to make a decision and refer to it.

It’s your body and your choice, however be prepared for a request to remove it for work. Might have been best to do it at the beginning of the summer break so that it would heal.

Be prepared for judgement from parents, however they’ll do that anyway if it’s that sort of context!

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why? Is it a cultural thing? Is your cultural background Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Nepali, Australian Aboriginal, of the Filipino Ilocano tribe or do you just think it would be cool to sport a bogie-hook?

Be prepared to have your colleagues telling you how wonderful you look to your face and laughing at you behind your back. That goes for parents and pupils too.

celago22 likes this.