1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nose cut off to spite face - Bristol kills fish

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 19, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-35134740

All the fish in a lake in Bristol are to be removed and destroyed in a bid to discourage fishing.

Last year, the local Neighbourhood Partnership voted to ban fishing at St George's Park lake to stop wildlife being harmed by fishing line and hooks.

It has now approved an option proposed by Bristol City Council to destroy the fish rather than relocate them.

But Maggie Waldon, from the Friends of St George Park Group, said it did not support "outright killing of the fish".

The old boating lake, according to Ms Waldon, was stocked with fish about 20 years ago and has been used as a fishing lake for many years.

"It's become very run down and there are far too many fish in there to support any kind of ecosystem," she admitted.

"We would really like to reduce the number of fish but we don't support the outright killing of the fish.

"There are some fish that are very unwell in which case that's fair enough but our policy would be to relocate them and find them new homes."

Head down with some chips and you got a meal! @racroesus sounds like you only got a short time to get in a session!

2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

At a guess they are worrying about what happens to the local birds and small mammals & amphibians.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I saw that story and as an angler took a keen interest. A risk to wildlife can be posed by disgarded fishing tackle and every responsible angler will do his/her best to avoid this. Sadly not all lost tackle can be recovered but this risk is probably no greater then other risks to wildlife such as being hit by traffic, pet dogs and cats or overhead power lines. Responsible anglers should also take home any tackle they find lost by others and most do (I've collected some decent lures this way :)).

If, as the pressure group claims, there are too many fish then some need to be culled since no responsible fishery will take them for fear of spreading disease, but I do not see the logic of protecting wildlife by killing it all (or don't fish count as wildlife because they are not cute).

By the way the neighbouring River Frome offers better fishing then St George's Park.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Why is this pronounced "Froom" when broom isn't spelled "brome"?

5. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

even stranger is why Bristol people call the river 'The Danny'

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

They seem to be an odd lot in the West Country, don't they? When I was over that way some years ago, I was fascinated by the popularity of country music there. Someone told me that Dolly Parton is particularly big in the Bristol area, but I don't profess to be an expert.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If the pond is overstocked why have they banned fishing?

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It used to be spelt Froom on old maps. I expect some posh Victorian from London is responsible for the change.

Do they? Never heard that.

9. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Maybe one of the Alex Douglas-Home clan?

Duke of York and harsh-but-fair like this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If it is a coarse fishery, suitable for a guttersnipe, the catch will be returned alive. More aristocratic game fishers are doing this as well.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

See below.

I always have a plastic bag hooked to my chair for bits of line, hooks with the hook flattened to the shank and so on.

Either place is very expensive: car, ferry, car, accommodation, several meals, car, ferry, car. I'll go to my local: car, packed lunch, car.

lanokia likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Less of that lip you guttersnipe! :p:D
    Not all game fishers are "aristocratic" and as you well know many of us have been returning our fish since game fishing began.

I thought you dabbled in that area too?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Only to tail the Master's grilse, guv.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  14. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

A fishy story ...I was expecting more jokes ?
    Can't they get the herons in? They eat all the fish from people's ponds around here.

les25paul and lanokia like this.
  15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Herons can be a ruddy pest.

But I will not carp on about it.

:)

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They need to be chased orfe.

les25paul likes this.
  17. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter