1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Norwegian brown cheese (Brunost)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon2980, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I watched this being made on the new Hairy Bikers TV show and I'm desperate to try it!
    Does anyone know whether it can be found in the UK (I've Googled like mad, but had no luck so far)?

2. I watched this being made on the new Hairy Bikers TV show and I'm desperate to try it!
    Does anyone know whether it can be found in the UK (I've Googled like mad, but had no luck so far)?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I know, I was fascinated by it as well. Maybe we could get the Hairy Bikers to send us Foodie Tessers some.

4. Mmmmm, now there's a thought, lapin!
    Maybe Gail or Bev could get them roped in to do a live chat session for the Cookery forumites?

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

6. Excellent! Thanks, EG. :)
    Don't know if I'm brave enough to try making it, but I'm going to order some from that shop and see what it's like. It will have a long way to travel though!

7. egyptgirl

Let me know what its like, Manny. I'm trying to persuade myself to try it but keep chickening out.

8. Will do, EG. Suspect I will be eating it for quite a while, as Mr M recoiled in horror when viewing said TV show...

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Looks like a visit here with the cheese is called for.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'e tried it and found it...

...horrible.

11. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Gjetost is absolutely gorgeous but tastes nothing like cheese so if you're expecting it to then you'll be disppointed - it has a sort of caramel taste to it and a very dense texture. You're supposed to eat it on crusty bread with a tangy jam (blackcurrant is good).
    Places I've found it in the UK - Henshelwood Deli in York (http://www.deliyork.co.uk/index.php) and The Cheese Society in Lincoln (http://thecheesesociety.look4local.co.uk/). It's been known for me to engineer a day trip to one of these cities with the main purpose of buying an enormous block of Gjetost. I'm a bit obsessed.

12. brown Gjetost is processed but lovely

13. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Trust me on this one - don't even think of going there! As someone else said, it doesn't taste of cheese but is more like fudge. It has the most awful taste ever!

14. I tried it when on holiday in Norway. As others have said, it has a strange, sweet taste which I found really unappealing. Norway has many, many things to recommend it, but it's cuisine isn't one of them, in my opinion.

15. Oooh - split opinions on this one, eh? [​IMG]
    So, I'm either going to love it, or hate it. A bit like Marmite (which I love).
    lapin, I'll try to time my cheese purchase with a visit. Hopefully the cheese would survive the train trip in a cool bag!

16. egyptgirl

I've had to order it now - am way, way too curious to wait. If I don't like it, I'll wait till we have some friends round for dinner and have it as part of a cheese course.

17. Please report back in full, EG!
    *jealous*

18. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Just make sure you serve it with jam - on it's own it's not particularly good, it's the combination of the cheese with zingy jam that makes it work (and that's not just me being weird, that's how you're meant to eat it)!

19. I quite often eat cheese & jam sarnies, or cheese and marmalade.
    So this cheese is clearly meant for meeeeeeeeee! :)