1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Norton Security

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Feb 17, 2020.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have had this on our ancient PC forever. Hardly use the PC ( Sony Vaio ) but still working . Subscription of £70 due at the weekend. Our son says not to bother and redirect the funds to buying something new. We definitely need to do this but I am loathe I suppose to lose the seurity blanket ( sorry !? ) of Norton before deciding on a purchase. Cancelling will make me be proactive about replacing I suppose ? Any thoughts ? I also have a prehistoric Vaio e mail address with just a couple of still relevant contacts but I am guessing that updating these will not be an issue ?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Use one of the free virus checkers (like Avast) - I have for years with no problems. Must have saved £hundreds.

jellycowfish and agathamorse like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I gave up paying for anti-virus years ago and have relied on Microsoft Windows security without any problems. I'm sure people will tell you it's useless and the work of the devil but I have had no issues at all and use my computer for work far more extensively than most people do.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Windows defender (the MS free one) is okay. Avast is definitely better, or alternately I would recommend AVG or Bitdefender free

agathamorse likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Avast took over AVG a while ago, so the two AVs are in the same stable.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Ditto.

Kandahar likes this.
  8. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

£70 seems very high.
    I pay for Kaspersky Internet Security - £20 for 1 year for 3 devices - 2 pcs and a phone - see Amazon for good deals

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Norton is rubbish, as is McAffee, both are expensive.

agathamorse, Kandahar and lilachardy like this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Many many thanks . Hugely helpful

11. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Ditto ditto.

I believe most viruses are caught when people open junk emails, or follow “clickbait” links in ads on - ahem - dodgy websites. If you are fairly common sense about how you are using the computer, the risk is smaller than you think these days.

12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

They've still not merged the two antivirus products yet, so they have the same basic engine but slightly different features and UIs. So AVG will do Spying and Data Theft Protection but Avast won't but Avast will do router security whereas AVG won/t

agathamorse and chelsea2 like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I agree, however I listened to this today. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005t9m

It's about some very sophisticated spying software developed in Israel being used by governments ostensibly to protect us from terrorists and major criminal gangs. The company who sell it claim that it's only available to the likes of GCHQ, but there are signs that people outside security organisations have had access to it.

As with scams, you won't be at risk unless you do what the scammer wants you to. If you do nothing, you'll never get scammed. This particular spying software takes over your phone, allowing those who send it to watch what you're doing, listen to conversations; and of course read, all your correspondence.

According to the programme, it was used to capture El Chappo, who went to extraordinary lengths to encryt his phone and they believe it was used in the muder of Jamal Khashoggi. Those who use it go to great lengths to make you click on a dodgy email, by sending personalised messages about friends and relatives that are too compelling not to click on.

I doubt I am likely to have a government use this virus on me, but if it's found its way into criminal gangs, who can tell?

14. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

That’s the sort of question you need @EmanuelShadrack to answer! He’s the expert at stuff like that.

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm the least techy person around, but very knowledgeable guy who helps me with PC issues (and set up everything I like when I replaced my ancient laptop) recommended and installed free AVG for me. Haven't had any problems.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek:

I hate it when people get caught like this. You really mustn't pay that sort of money.

As an example you can buy 3 years of Kaspersky for 5 devices for less than half that price, or 1 year for one device for nearly a fifth.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-Android-Activation/dp/B07MG58FF9?th=1&psc=1

I think people get caught out by buying direct from the vendor or high st (Curry's for example) which is always very expensive.

Changing your laptop should be no big deal. If you register the software on Kaspersky's website you can de-activate a device and download it again on the new one.

EmanuelShadrack and agathamorse like this.
  17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Technically these are Trojans rather than viruses. They are available on the darknet and have been for some time

agathamorse and colpee like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I found Norton quite intrusive, and it slowed the system down. I replaced it with McAfee a few years ago. Not cheap but it covers more than one device.

Best anti intruder software I got were Adblocker Plus and the Mozilla Firefox browser, for ad and tracker free browsing.

19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Actually doing nothing is no defence with these sorts of attacks. Code can be injected remotely into any computer without any user interaction at all. Mobile phones are particularly easy in this respect.
    There is military technology that can do this, even from submarines that have sneaked close enough inshore to detect a network and identify computers to hack.

That some of this technology is also 'in the wild' and in nefarious hands is highly likely.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I use Avast for my Mac and it has saved me a few pitfalls on my travels around computer worlds. It works fine.
    the one you have to watch is when they try to download Macfee bundles when downloading from other sites.

agathamorse likes this.