1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Northern powerhouse at risk from under-performing schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Feb 23, 2016.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

delnon and Compassman like this.
  2. coppull

coppull New commenter

Strange I have not heard hundreds of sackings of HT's and SMT's at Academies in Knowsle, Manchester and Rochdale,but I bet a large number of classroom teachers will have failed their PM.

3. spencer2d

spencer2d New commenter

Perhaps they should read this head line the other way around, failing north power house puts schools at risk of under performing.
    Give the north the control over its own funding and direction, allow it to develop so pupils have a wide range of opportunities to aim for with better out of school lives and I wounder if results would improve.

delnon likes this.
  4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

There is definitely a point to be made about Trafford creaming off the more academically able from Manchester. The underperforming schools in Manchester are almost exclusively academies and in many cases have sunk further since academisation. A generation of children are being let down by academy chains that have absolutely no idea how to lead or manage schools. The arrogance of it is just breathtaking. I don't even think they are interested in children. Bunch of jokers.

5. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

I live down south. It is not under-performing north - but fantastic, high quality and over-performance down south! Well done all you southern teachers.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Hilarious

delnon likes this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The Northern Powerhouse is at risk - but it has little to do with schools or teachers, in my opinion.

8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

@vannie

Exactly the same scenario in the West Mids, particularly the Black Country.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, along with areas of the NE.

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They're waiting...

cissy3 likes this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I taught in Knowsley for 17 years a while ago. It is a tough place to learn your craft but I have some great memories of the lovely, spirited but very challenging students and committed, skilled colleagues. A fellow linguist taught in another school in the LA and when league tables were in their infancy she taught in the last placed school in Knowsley which was then last in the league . I recall her reflecting on this. We had difficulty recruiting and sometimes retaining staff. Our building was once featured in a local newspaper with the headline ' Escape from Alcatraz '. Many of the better associate schools encouraged their Y6 children to pursue their secondary careers in a neighbouring LA. I know that over the years Knowsley has experimented with alternative curruculum approaches in brand new 'designer' accommodation.Plus ça change.....

delnon likes this.
  11. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

Apparently, according to the press (I know, I know) in 2013 Liverpool had more good or outstanding schools than any other big city in England. If true perhaps Mr Wilshaw may care to explain what has happened in the last two and a bit years that's led to such a decline. Were Ofsted fooled in 2013 and have now got the true picture or is it the other way round? Or has something really drastic happened in those schools (with presumably pretty much the same staff and leadership) that has led Ofsted to such a different conclusion? Because surely Ofsted and the government won't have changed the rules to penalise inner-city schools.

delnon likes this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'm as tired of hearing about 'The Northern Powerhouse' as I am of 'The Big Society'. Rhetorical cardboard swallowed by idiots fed by dogs.

delnon likes this.
  13. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Northern Powerhouse at risk from under-performing Wilshaw and Morgan.

minnie me likes this.
  14. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

It's almost as if the under-performing areas were all post-industrial dumps full of poor people.