1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Northern Cyprus

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by BenMatthews1980, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Hi guys.
    I have searched the forum, and found some old topics on Cyprus, but none on Northern Cyprus. If anyone has any insight into the schools and lifestyle on offer in this area of the world it would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Hi guys.
    I have searched the forum, and found some old topics on Cyprus, but none on Northern Cyprus. If anyone has any insight into the schools and lifestyle on offer in this area of the world it would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

3. Ben - someone pulled the reply. The administrators have cut out a very interesting one. Hopefully the person who posted it will use some better disguises for the schools mentioned. I have worked there though in the tourist industry. Lovely spot, but small village atmosphere. Ballapaix is beautiful - try 'The Bitter Lemons of Cyprus' for a great read. The place hasn't changed much.

4. Hi,
    I'm thinking of moving out to North Cyprus and wondered if you thought it suitable for a young family? Are the beaches okay and accessible? Is a car needed to get around? I'm thinking that the general cost of living is fairly low (once you've spent your savings on a kettle!)?
    Any general information would be great!

5. redlorry

redlorry New commenter

Hi,
    Nothing in Cyprus is cheap. The cost of living here is a lot, and unless you are on a good wage it may be a struggle. Beaches are lovely in the North, but a car will be needed.
    Hope this helps

6. Hi,
    This does help, yes. I'd assumed cost of living would be fairly cheap so good thing I checked! Do you work at one of the schools there? Any information on the one in Famagusta would be handy, feel free to PM me if you prefer. [​IMG]

7. Hi, I am a British trained Early years/key stage one teacher and there is a chance that I may be moving to North Cyprus in the near future. I want to continue with my career and wondered if you may be able to give me any advise about 'how I can get my foot in the door' with this one! It would be great if you could reply :) Thank you.

8. I agree with all that has been said. It's a lovely place but there is a lot of building going on and I would say some dubious planning decisions! Also, it's very expensive and you will almost certainly need a car.

9. So nice but very expensive. Do the salaries match the cost of living?

10. It is very expensive living here. The abovementioned school is possibly one of the better ones, but management is changing and the friendly feeling that characterised it has changed too. Come if you have funds at home to rely on.