1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Northampton PGCE 2012

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by purple4simone, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Hi. Just new here and greatly appreciating all the advice I'd read about applying. Is anyone for this PGCE and if so, have you got your interview date yet? So far all ive been told is mine will be during the week beginning 23rd January, but still no date and its getting near. The problem is I'm from Northern Ireland and need to know date a.s.a.p. as flights are getting dearer for its so close to the time now, which is a shame as i got word 23rd Dec I had been invitied forf interview, and flights were quite cheap back then. Would it be really bad to ring the university and explain this and see if i can get a date??

2. Hi. Just new here and greatly appreciating all the advice I'd read about applying. Is anyone for this PGCE and if so, have you got your interview date yet? So far all ive been told is mine will be during the week beginning 23rd January, but still no date and its getting near. The problem is I'm from Northern Ireland and need to know date a.s.a.p. as flights are getting dearer for its so close to the time now, which is a shame as i got word 23rd Dec I had been invitied forf interview, and flights were quite cheap back then. Would it be really bad to ring the university and explain this and see if i can get a date??

3. Definitely ring them! Sure they'll understand your situation.

4. HI purple4simone..I was in the same situation as you, email on December the 23rd say I had an interview, week of Jan the 23rd and a date would follow, I was starting to worry but had a letter through the post on Wednesday confirming the date and time etc, I think they will be send everyone letters so yours might take a little longer to arrive?
    Hope this helps!

5. Hi emilybanks, letter finally arrived yesterday - I'm Monday 23rd from 1pm, what about you? Excited but nervous, especially about the tests!!

6. Ah I bet you are relieved! Yes mine is Monday at 1pm too! I'm really nervous too..the test's are really daunting! The examples they sent didn't look too horrific! What have you do to prepare?

7. By Monday I mean the 23rd!

8. Oh thats good!! I'll be easy to spot - the one with the irish accent! So far ive done a few GCSE revision tests online for English Maths and Science, and trying to get my 3 minute talk done though I'm not getting too far with that!! Ive been writing out answers for the likely questions in the individual interviews, as I went for a GTP interview a few months back so I'm hoping similar questions will be asked! So far seems like I need to revise more Science as I struggled a little with that practice paper we got - its amazing how much you forget when you walk out your school door, especially as that was nearly 10 years ago!!

9. Ooh I'll keep my eye out!! I have been doing similar things really, written tonnes of answers to possible questions and having a practice interview with the head and deputy head at the school I help at later this week! Haha i know! I can barely remember anything and only had my GCSE's 5 years ago! Yes I though the practice papers were fairly hard, thought the maths was far easier then the science though!

10. Ah it jus goes to show how much of the stuff we learn in our GCSE's isnt needed or useful in every day life lol. The science paper was definately harder - i had done 2 practice ones online an done okay-ish but i had to google nearly every answer for that paper, whereas the main maths one that got me was 2/3 of 1/2. I knew the workings out i was meant to do but i just couldnt get the answer!! I was just wondering - do you know if our presentation has to be totally from memory or if we are aloud little flashcards with points to remember?? For it doesnt really say anywhere that it has to be from memory?

11. Haha that is what I thought! Yes I thought the maths one was far easier, I got 8/9 for it but only about 4 in the science! I was wondering the same thing, I haven't heard anything but I am going to take some flash cards with bullet points on them, I don't think I will manage to memorize the whole thing perfectly!

12. Ah good good, any time i try to memorise it i get about half way and mind goes blank so wouldnt be good!! yeah thats roughly what i ended up with in the papers, so i think a LOT more revision is needed in the next few days!! so much to do and cram in in so little time!!!

13. Me too! I remember the main points just not how to connect them all together! I'm going be revising every minute I can! Far to much to learn!