1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

North West lockdown

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Aug 2, 2020 at 5:26 PM.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I am in the area affected by the new lockdown in GM. We are suppose to carry on working as normal. I have started going back to one students. House and had planned for another to return this week. Anyone else in the North West what are you doing?

2. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I'm really sorry but I'm London based, so I won't be able to help. I hope it all goes well for you. It must be really hard to know what to do for the best. Let us know how things go this week. :)

3. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

I'm based in the NW of England but outside the lockdown areas. I intend to continue with just online tuition at least until the schools are back. Although restarting home visits would be my preferred option when feasible, the topic has not yet been raised by either myself or the parents.

When you say "working as normal" does that still apply if you have to visit someone in their home for work as it sounds little different to a member of one household visiting another household which is supposedly banned under the localised lockdowns? Good luck anyway, the rules as laid down are a bit of a dog's breakfast at the best of times.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'm not in the lockdown area, but I'm planning to continue online for now. So far everyone seems happy with it and no one has requested going back to in person lessons.

II had a look at the government advice. There seem to be two contradictory statements.

What will be illegal?
    It will be illegal for people who do not live together to meet in a private home or garden, except for limited exceptions to be set out in law. You should not host or visit people you do not live with, unless they’re in your support bubble. If you live in the affected areas, you should not visit someone’s home or garden regardless of whether this is in or outside of the restricted area.

Can people still come into my house if it’s part of their job?
    Yes. People can still come inside your home when they’re doing so as part of their work, including cleaners, nannies, and repair workers.

Based on the second one I guess it is legal as it is part of your job. It really comes down to what you and they are comfortable with.