1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

North Lanarkshire Active Literacy in Aberdeen

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Frecklefeatures, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Am just going to say it very quietly, then tiptoe away....[​IMG]

For those outwith Aberdeen using it (not including anyone who wrote it), I have a few questions:

• Does it work? Huge improvements in literacy?
    • When do you have time to do anything else except language work?
    • Have you got a workable weekly timetable which manages to fit all the activities in?
    • If you've moved over to using book-banding, are you seeing improvements in reading?
    • Are you following it religiously (mostly)?
    Sorry for the multiple questions, but if you don't ask, you'll never know [​IMG]

• Does it work? Not any more than previous methods. Huge improvements in literacy?- No
    • When do you have time to do anything else except language work? We don't! Not for first couple of years till we got the hang of it. Yes that's right I said "years"
    • Have you got a workable weekly timetable which manages to fit all the activities in?Yes,after 3 years!
    • If you've moved over to using book-banding, are you seeing improvements in reading?Nope
    • Are you following it religiously (mostly)? It works best when I don't use it religiously![​IMG]
    Sorry to be flippant but it's a heck of a lot of work, some nice ideas for paired work though. I believe North Lanarkshire themselves have moved on from this. Enough said.
    We have all tried really hard to use it but it is very easy to spend all morning on literacy. Once you do finally get the hang of it, it does get easier but it is so hard to do in composite classes like we have.

2. Brilliant- here we go again. We adopt something from North Lanarkshire, after they have given up on it. When we adopted their writing approach, our own school went backwards attainment wise. Our kids were so fed up with the planning part that they didn't want to write the story. It put off so many children, and I can see the same happening again.
    How on earth does it work with a composite? Our course leaders won't answer that.

3. Lynseymac

Lynseymac New commenter

They haven't given up on it.................but they do change it almost weekly. I work for NLC and the majority of teachers hate it. Every time we think we're getting the hang of it, they suddenly change what they want us to do.
    You dared to ask a course leader a question?? I bet that went down well. Heaven help you if you dare to question their "research" and methodology.