1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

'normal' duration for DHT interview process

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by BlueMoomin, May 8, 2012.

  1. Hi - hope this is the right forum ... Apologies if it isn't!
    I've just begun to apply for DHT posts and have just (unsuccessfully) completed my first interview process.
    The whole thing consisted of three (gruelling!) days. I was just wondering if this is the norm?
    I understand the process has to be rigorous and similar to that of appointing a HT for obvious reasons, but I'm concerned about the amount of time away from my own school if I make a few applications and am invited for interview!
    Any experiences / thoughts.
    Many thanks
     
  2. two days is the norm in my experience (not having gone for them, but knowing a lot of people who have) three days is very long!
     
  3. Thanks sideshow. To be honest, I thought it was a bit long, but it definitely tested my wits!!

    Day 1: formal tour / teach for an hour / meet staff 'informally' / meet kids and school council
    Day 2: literacy task / 1:1 scenario / unseen written task
    Day 3: unseen presentation / formal panel interviews

    Twas tough - but I expected it to be! Went to an internal in the end. Am hoping I am better next time!
     
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Yes, 2 days is the norm for secondary schools; sometimes in a primary it is only 1 day. 3 days is a real olympic-style obstacle course!
    If you are seriously thinking of this as your next career move:
    Seminar 19 May
    Best wishes.
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT or Headship seminar on Saturday 19 May.
     
  5. That's exactly what it felt like - I am shattered today!
    (Should have said that this was for a primary DHT)
    Would love to go to the workshop Theo ... wish you were 'up north'! [​IMG]

    Apologies for my previous lack of formatting - I honestly can use structure!!!!
    ...don't think my ipad likes paragraphs!) [​IMG]

     
  6. Interviews seem to be getting longer and longer! I had 5 deputy interviews last year (yes, I was rubbish in interviews) and they were all a day long. 1 friend had a 2-day interview but the tasks could have fitted into a day. These were primary.
     
  7. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    I was interviewed for deputy headship in 1993. I had four interviews, all of which lasted two days.
    Interestingly, the one I was appointed to was two days, but a week apart (this was because the governors on the panel could only do the days a week apart).
    For both my headships I was interviewed for two days.
     
  8. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Last one we ran, 8 days ago, we had 3 people from N Yorkshire . . . And I will add, in my normal modest way, that 6% of the attendees on that day assessed it as "Very Good", the other 94% as "Excellent"
    [​IMG]
    (Back to do some more gardening now . . .)
    Best wishes
    ________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT or Headship seminar on Saturday 19 May.
     
  9. pauljoecoe

    pauljoecoe New commenter

    2 days seems to be the norm (not from experience but from knowing someone who has been a a few!)

    We appoiinted a deputy head at my school in one day recently but I suspect they may have decided who was getting the job already. [​IMG]


     

Share This Page