1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Normal delivery after C-section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by anon4046, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hello - I'm not pregnant, and I'm not trying, and I'm sort of reluctant to have another baby as the birth last time was horrible, and I still torture myself by re-imagining it all. My stupid brain likes to re-live the whole thing in a parallell universe where c-sections aren't even heard of and I die with the baby stuck inside me. Yes, lovely. It prevented me from sleeping last night.
    BUT - I worry about my daughter not having any siblings, and I've been watching the odd episode of One Born Every Minute. Ahem.
    My question is - have any of you had a lovely delivery with your second, but had an awful experience first time round, culminating in an emergency c-section? I'd like to hear some positive stories, and I'd also like to know if you were advised to have another CS, or encouraged to try natural delivery, andif you did natural, what was it like? Did the injury from the last CS rupture or anything?
    Thanks in advance.

2. That looks so stupid. But it sort of demonstrates my feelings about the whole thing...

3. Doesn't sound stupid, sorry not overly helpful but had similar experience with birth number 1 and fear labour more than anything now. I want more children but dread getting pregnant, part of me wants an elective section and avoid all the run up.

Anyway, I have a friend who had a c-section for her first and had similar fears. She did a hypnobirthing type course to help clear her fears and approach labour with a relaxed attitude. She had a great second labour and a natural delivery- a couple of stitches. I know it isn't quite the same as first hand experience though. She said it helped the rest of her pregnancy as she wasn't going to bed terrified every night and was a lot more relaxed.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I don't have personal experience, but a friend of mine gave birth 'normally' to her 3rd child after having an emergency CS with her 2nd. She was advised not to by her consultant, but she wanted to, and it was all fine.
    I watched One Born Every Minute for the first time ever last night and one of the girls on that had a straightforward delivery with just gas and air and she'd had an emergency CS with her 1st.
    You can't think like that! I have to admit, I have similar thoughts. I didn't produce enough breastmilk and my little boy lost 30% of his birth weight in 6 days! Imagine if formula hadn't existed?
    I would imagine that after a c section they advise an elective for the next baby, and then it's up to you whether you want that, or you want to try a 'natural' birth.
    If that's what's putting you off having another, then go with the elective! At least you will be prepared for it, and it won't be traumatic like your first experience.

5. Hi Coffeekid
    I write from experience.

I had an awful first pregnancy and birth reslting in an emergency c-section where I was put to sleep. It was totally not what I wanted epecially for your first and I remeber being really upset for ages after as I wasnt the first person to hold my newborn, in fact I was about he millionth person to hold my newborn and I was so upset by that. I was traumatised for a long time after having my first and never thought I would have another! The pregnancy wasn't plain sailing either, my little one had stopped growing so I was induced and she was delivered early.

However I always wanted my children close together so after a lot of discssions with my husband (he was always told he couldn't have children so we had that against us too) we decided to try again once my first born turned one. I managed to fall pregnant again and were delighted, terrified but delighted!!

We were so luky to have a great team looking after us second time round and had lots of scans, meetings and chec ups. I was terrified about the birth after the first being so awful but I was enouraged to have a natural delivery so long as this baby behaved. I went into labour 3 weeks early and my beautiful second child arrived NATURALLY fuss free and exactly as I hoped. My second experience was completely different and was the birth I hoped for. I was able to hold her for the first time and tell the world she had arrived! The two births couldnt have been more differet!!

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions and good luck! [​IMG]

6. this is great to read as I would like another baby (Not yet!! lo 3 months!) I had similar- horrible labour ending in c section.It still makes me feel a bit sick thinking about it. great to know people have had a good experience 2nd time - thanks for telling your stories!I would loveto have a water birth or at least be able to move around and not be stuck on the bed with drip and monitor (induced!) Keep the nice stories coming!!

7. Here's a link to natal hypnotherapy which offers such courses,
    http://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/?gclid=CNP1uOSgiqcCFUZP4QodujPrdw
    They also do specific relaxation CDs for VBAC here
    http://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/13.html
    anyone can use from about 35 weeks whether or not you've been on a course. They won't hypnotise you but they will help you relax. Prior to that you would just use the general pregancy relaxation CDs or book custom sessions.
    I used some natal hypnotherapy CDs (not these ones) and they were really great.

8. Thanks very much for the replies.
    Chica - I know I shouldn't think like that, but I can't help it. It's so stupid! I keep thinking a good delivery in the future would put the intrusive thoughts to bed...

Thanks again everyone - I know I won't be the only person in this situation and maybe this thread will help others too.

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I understand, and I am a million times more determined to be able to breastfeed this time, because I felt like a failure with my son.

10. I remember. Willing you onwards, sweetie.

11. Was going to mention the lady on OBEM last night who had an emergency c-section and then a straightforward second delivery- she seemingly went to 8 cm without even realising it ;-) (OH was just fascinated by her mad sister...)

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Oh, she was her sister! Thought it was funny she kept using the gas and air! My husband was like 'she looks like a druggie so no wonder she'll go for it!'. I thought it was funny when she was saying she couldn't do it etc and then her phone rang and she seemed fine!

13. Exactly what OH was saying! "Oh, you're used to all that..." or something along those lines! He kept mentioning her mad hair. Poor girl!

14. My first birth wasn't really traumatic but resulted in an 'emergency' c-section at 42+1 as 3 days after being induced and after hours on the drip that is meant to speed things up I got to 1cm. I felt like a complete failure that I couldn't even do my first job as a mother properly and give birth. I couldn't talk about it without getting upset and looking back I think I had a bit of PND as a result.
    If I could have been guaranteed a natural birth with my 2nd I would have absolutely gone for a vbac but as much as I wanted to experience labour and birth properly, I couldn't take the risk of failing again. I couldn't believe that my body would know what to do this time when it was so hopeless last time. I asked for an elective section and was not pushed to consider a vbac at all as I had expected to be.
    My experience 2nd time around was much better as I felt in control and like I was making the choice about the type of birth I had. It has healed a lot of old wounds and I can finally talk about my first birth without getting upset. I still get very emotional watching OBEM as I know I will never experience giving birth naturally and I do feel that I have missed out on an amazing experience but I dread to think of my mental state now if I had tried and failed again.

15. I had a VBAC with my daughter after a horrendous labouring resulting in emergency C-section under general anaesthetic with my twins. My twin pregnancy was problematic throughout and I instinctively felt I would not be able to deliver naturally, begged for a section but refused. Twin 1 became so distressed that I went from labour suite to delivery room and under anaesthetic in less than 20 secs. Horrendous. He had to be resusitated at birth so I am told.
    Daughter I felt so much more in control and felt as if I could give birth naturally. She had stopped growing inside and they gave me the choice of being induced (which carries greater risk with VBAC due to rupture) or elective section when there was a space. As baby was not in grave danger I managed to postpone the section for 3 days and the evening before went into labour spontaneously and delivered her with no complications using only gas and air. It was an amazing experience and I was so glad I held off with the section.

I think with spontaneous labour rupture is quite rare but there is a higher risk with being induced as the contractions are more intense from the start.
    You can have a great experience after an horrific birth, you just have to be brave. Good luck.