1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

norethisterone

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Fine_and_dandy, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I took norethisterone for about 6 days to delay my period while on holiday. I thought it was a contraceptives but I now know it doesn't work that way if you use it to postpone bleeding. My partner and I had unprotected sex while I was taking it. About a week after I stopped I started bleeding, but it was a much darker colour than my normal period...now I'm told that this is a withdrawal bleeding and not a real period so there is a chance I may be pregnant!
    Can anyone shed any light on this? I feel pregnant but I would've thought any sort of bleeding would indicate otherwise!
    cheers medears
    fad

2. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

No idea....do a test maybe?

3. oooh I know..but I'm putting it off!!! I'll give myself one more week.

4. It's unusual but some people bleed quite a bit during pregnancy.

5. Withdrawal bleeding or not, its still the lining of your womb that's coming away, isn't it? I would bet money that you aren't pregnant but for god's sake, all you need to cough up is £4 to find out!
    Just in case it happens again, even if you're taking norethisterone as a contraceptive, or any hormone contraceptive, you'd have to take it for longer than six days for it to start being effective.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I certainly can't and I'd be surprised if anyone else on here could. Do a pregnancy test.

7. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Did whoever prescribed the Norethisterone for you, not explain it?

8. Next time just keep on taking your normal pill, without the usual gap. That's what we old fashioned girls used to do!
    Or has that been updated and improved now??

Oh, and take a test. Delaying it won't make any difference but may shred your nerves!

9. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Norethistorene (or whatever!) will make every thing a bit different to how it normally is. However, take a test!