1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nord Anglia?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by NCC-1701-D, Nov 29, 2017.

1. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

I have worked in a US school. There are a lot of vacancies over there this year...a lot... maybe that will tell you something?

I'm open to PMs but will have to be careful of my answers

andersonrachael and ml02slc like this.
  2. samcosgrove11

samcosgrove11 New commenter

I have an interview coming up for one of the US schools. A friend who works in the NA family of school has heard it's a very good school...would anyone know of a certain one not near the seaboard, close to a large lake?

3. missmissmiss

missmissmiss New commenter

I agree with mm71 and can sum up NAE in one word: avoid!

4. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Every one of their schools?

5. rose8tta

rose8tta New commenter

Anyone with information on NA schools in Asia ? I am interested in working out there, can anyone give me info on schools which are decent ?

6. willow78

Send me a message I have worked at one and have interviews at two others next week, so know a bit about those schools

7. rose8tta

rose8tta New commenter

Amazing, that would be really helpful. Not sure how to send a message?? I will keep trying!

8. missmissmiss

missmissmiss New commenter

Can speak for US, Europe and China and would advise you avoid them all.

DylanDa likes this.
  9. obie77

obie77 New commenter

Would you be able to say why?

10. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

They won't get an E2 Visa but they will get authorisation to work. The spouse can work anywhere but it is 100% tied to your E2 visa and must be renewed every 2 years. It's also worth pointing out that the E2 visa does not allow a route to staying in teh country via any other means such as a green card. I suspect that H1Bs may be their next move as the requirements for an E2 visa are very stringent and I suspect are not 100% valid e.g. the E2 recipients must be the same nationality as the company owner and they are now owned by a Chinese/Canadian group but there is a fudge where you are hired through a 3rd party company...

11. willow78

Have you worked in them all?

12. willow78

I have sent you a message?

13. seign001

seign001 New commenter

Would love some pm from you #willow78 as got interviews there

Thanks

14. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

II thought I would repeat this for those posters above asking about the company and its schools in general, even though I have said this before on another thread.

They started out more than 30 years ago. Their first schools were set up in the, then, untapped market of Eastern Europe and Russia, following the collapse of communism. They were not a great success, the founder was and ex EAL teacher and his choice of senior managers was a bit mixed to say the least. Their recruitment policy for teachers was not great either, focusing on young newly qualified teachers who would do as they were told and not complain too loudly. Their reputation was not high amongst many of us older hands.

The group as a whole grew though and it acquired some serious finance (Barings Private Equity apparrently). At this point they began to buy up existing schools as going concerns, as well as building new schools in China and S.E. Asia. They seem to have good relations with the CPC and the regional governments and are building new schools in several cities in China. They have also bought a group of bilingual schools in Mexico, obviously diversifying their portfolio!

What this means for teachers is that there is a good deal of variety in the way the schools are run; e.g. they bought a school in China that had been going for about 12 years, left the SLT in place and apart from changing the logo and the uniform left it pretty much alone. Although there is in my view a very definite corporate feel to the school and staff do complain about a change in culture (focused on money and not rocking the boat, you will be surprised to hear). It can also mean that recruitment across the group varies; sometimes its done through their website, especially for leadership posts, and sometimes done by the school itself and this can lead to mixed messages and a bit of confusion.

The policy of recruiting teachers remains the same imo, too many Brits, too young, too easily seduced by the lure of working abroad in a ‘safe’ environment; i.e. no horror stories like dumbells66 experience in Spain, and too easily bullied. However, I have to say as education in the UK has been moving in exactly the same way since the 1980s most of these young teachers don’t know anything different and like it!!!

They have also taken a leaf out of ESF’s playbook (since they moved to Hong Kong maybe?) and promote a great deal from within, so if you sign up at the start of your career you, keep your nose clean and follow the corporate line you can get promoted and move around the world within its now 50 odd schools.

As always guys caveat emptor!!! Do your research, talk to others and make your decision. As for me; at this stage in my career I wouldn’t want to work for them, but then they would not want to employ me, but if you’re looking for that ‘comfort zone’, go for it!

Please understand that all of this is based on my own experiences, talking to colleagues and friends; i.e. purely anecdotal evidence and as such, take it or leave it!

Apologies for the length of the post.

mm71, DylanDa and lauwailap like this.
  15. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

The school I worked at for four years in Asia I would agree is overly corporate. There’s an extremely high turnover at all levels of staff, particularly, principal. In fact, why even have a principal role when the deputy is actually a head teacher...? Because it is all about show and how things are perceived.
    School foyers look remarkably impressive but scratch beneath the surface and you will see much wear and tear. The way things are carried out is extremely regimented and inflexible. I would add that the thing I have learnt that I personally dislike about British schools is that we’re not in Britain, however, the school acts like we are which doesn’t always match well with the intake and community. Performance management is horrendously outdated with one off lesson observations that everyone dreads the build up of, tightly graded, planned on formats unused on any other occasion, much more than what would be expected in an OFSTED inspection.
    At the school I worked at, I would disagree with makhnovite regarding the majority of staff being young - we had a great diverse mix, however, this is because they would take ANYONE that apply and accept the post... I can not name one teacher or assistant who is happy. So they leave...

16. HSCTeacher

HSCTeacher New commenter

Had a skype interview with one of the schools in this group. I was told that there is a recruitment fair in London starting next week and that if my Skype interview was successful I would be invited to attend for a face to face... I am assuming it wasn't as I haven't heard from them since. Anyone had an invitation to attend the fair next week?

17. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

I think I worked here too, teach. Such a shame as there is great potential to actually live up to the marketing!

Teachallover likes this.
  18. willow78

Yes I have two interviews next week in London. I didn't have a Skype interview thought, so I'm guessing it was a different school.

19. HSCTeacher

HSCTeacher New commenter

Best wishes. Hope you are successful and get your preferred choice of the two.

20. obie77

obie77 New commenter

I have too had a Skype interview and heard nothing, yet. Hopefully as I said I would be available they will reply on Monday. Fingers crossed!