1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nonstop feeding feeling

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by letterboxred, May 30, 2011.

1. Does anyone find that their baby's (6months old) morning breast milk feed followed by breakfast solids followed by lunch solids then lunch breast milk feed is very, very close together?

Feels like I am nonstop feeding my 6 month old baby from 7am to 11am! There is no time for her nap as it is time to feed her again after breakfast. (P.S. She usually milk feeds for ages approx 40 - 60mins)

The "little milk before solids then rest of milk after solids" approach does not work here as she feeds for her normal amount of time still.

When does the 11am (lunch) milk feed get dropped? Worried about mastitis etc. if I suddenly drop this feed. Was told originally to feed her solids before the lunch milk feed so she will gradually reduce amount of lunch milk but drinks for the same amount of time.

I have gradually increased her amount of solids each meal but she can't be THAT hungry ALL morning.

Any tips would be really handy! :)

2. Does anyone find that their baby's (6months old) morning breast milk feed followed by breakfast solids followed by lunch solids then lunch breast milk feed is very, very close together?

Feels like I am nonstop feeding my 6 month old baby from 7am to 11am! There is no time for her nap as it is time to feed her again after breakfast. (P.S. She usually milk feeds for ages approx 40 - 60mins)

The "little milk before solids then rest of milk after solids" approach does not work here as she feeds for her normal amount of time still.

When does the 11am (lunch) milk feed get dropped? Worried about mastitis etc. if I suddenly drop this feed. Was told originally to feed her solids before the lunch milk feed so she will gradually reduce amount of lunch milk but drinks for the same amount of time.

I have gradually increased her amount of solids each meal but she can't be THAT hungry ALL morning.

Any tips would be really handy! :)

3. HI Letterboxed. I know nothing about feeding a baby solids (ours LO is only 3 months) but we had a terrible time with BF. I stuck with it and persevered and at about 11 weeks she finally got it. At 8 weeks I was at the end of my tether with feeding taking up to 2 hours on occasion and I rang the Baby Feeding Lady from the hospital who told me that if LO was feeding for more than 45 minutes she will have already had what she wants / needs and to stop becasue she is only comfort sucking. Since then feeding her has been a lot more pleasurable & less stressful. I'm looking forward to solids though :)

4. Have her feeds always been that long? If not, she may have hit the 6 month growth spurt?

5. I don't know if it is particularly helpful, but we seem to have hardly any gaps between feeds. At 9 months, she wakes at 6am for an early milk feed, then naps tll 7,30. ....This morning we were lazy and she kept snacking on me, crawling around and helping herself... then straight onto breakfast, then another milk feed at 11.. sometimes even more than that.... An hour and a half till the next solid meal, then a longer gap this afternoon. Her weight gain is good though so I am not too worried. It does seem there is no gap between food... I am constantly preparing food, clearing up food, feeding her, or breastfeeding. It does vary though, sometimes she has far less milk and the feeds are not as long as they used to be. I would guess she is having less milk but am not really sure

6. Thanks for the helpful advice!

Mousee - She use to have long feeds upto 2 hrs before but now averages 40-60mins , mostly 50mins and feeds well on time. Just these solids between the milk feeds take a lot of time up too. Good luck for when you start solids! :)

Bunique - Her feeds have been this long the past few months, they used to be anything between 45mins to 2hrs previously. Did not know there was a 6 month growth spurt - good to know that - glad you have pointed it out!

Moomoon - feel the same with the preparing food, feeding, feeding ourselves etc that it sometimes feels like all day feeding! I think having solids before a milk feed helps to reduce demand for milk but not sure if this happens when they start on meats as she is still on fruit, veg and rice at the moment.

(Apologies for the huge chunks of text in my original post and this post......strange there are no paragraph gaps between texts as I did put them in. Weird formatting going on here)