1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nonsense

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emilystrange, Aug 4, 2011.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

that's my topic for the first half term in R/1/2
    i've thought of using Jabberwocky to get some discussion going on meanings of words, for art and description and a bit of drama. the pictures and models should be cool!

i can read some roald dahl too, using his cooking book as well. roald dahl day is early on in term, too. lots of limericks and tonguetwisters planned.

so far, though, i'm literacy heavy with a bit of art. must try and think a bit harder!

i forgot. i've got to teach music. first time i've done it as it's always been done in my PPA before, but there's been a bit of a change. eek.

2. emilystrange

that's my topic for the first half term in R/1/2
    i've thought of using Jabberwocky to get some discussion going on meanings of words, for art and description and a bit of drama. the pictures and models should be cool!

i can read some roald dahl too, using his cooking book as well. roald dahl day is early on in term, too. lots of limericks and tonguetwisters planned.

so far, though, i'm literacy heavy with a bit of art. must try and think a bit harder!

i forgot. i've got to teach music. first time i've done it as it's always been done in my PPA before, but there's been a bit of a change. eek.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

School where I did supply last term, Music teacher asked children to write some music to Jabberwocky -opportunity to talk about melody and what 'sounds right together' (melodic as opposed to discordant) and 'beat' in music.
    Geography-what about a maze? Could actually build one too!
    History-could link with sequencing and the importance of it. So could make jumbled timelines of themselves or jumbled science investigation instructions.
    Picasso is good for art of course.
    Importance of place value for Maths.

4. emilystrange

lots of mis-sorting as well, and spot the mistakes in calcs...
    ooo i want a maze! i was thinking maybe of looking at jungles in geog, as it seems the kind of place the poem's in, and that will be a good roleplay as well.

good time to explore settings too!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

There are lots of nonsense songs on the Sing Up site. Do look at the teaching notes for advice on teaching the songs and for further activities. You will be able to cover most, if not all, of the NC objectives in this way.
    http://www.singup.org/search/page/1/query/nonsense/

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

The Ning Nang Nong poem might be good for this.

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Edward Lear - The Owl and the Pussycat and The Jumblies.
    Also, a great picturebook is 'The Emperor of Absurdia' by Chris Riddell - all sorts of silly things happening there.

8. emilystrange

thanks, all... plenty to be going on with. i suspect we might all enjoy this more than anything else we do!

well, i will. [​IMG]

9. Ohh that topic sounds like so much fun!

10. emilystrange

you reckon i can get away with it all year?

11. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

The Jabberwocky for YR/1/2???
    Really???
    Have you done it with this age group before?
    I wouldn't go much below Y5 myself...

12. emilystrange

certainly. it'll all be about imagination and playing with words. we might not get much past 1st verse, maybe...
    my lot will love it. it's not as if they'll get a constant diet of it, anyway.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not sure about the Jabberwocky in R/1/2 either. And to just do the first verse somehow seems a bit wrong. You might be better off doing a whole poem more suitable for the younger children where they can learn the poem and act it and all that sort of practical working.

I honestly think something like The Ning Nang Nong would be so much better. The children would get the jokes and the humour and so appreciate the nonsense aspect.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Understand what you mean about the level of difficulty and Ning Nang Nong would be easier, but as an introduction to the topic where children just listen to the 'sounds' of the words I could see working.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It isn't just the difficulty, it is the not using the whole poem as well. Nor getting any meaning from it. Some of the words that will seem nonsense to the children are actually just older English.

But hey, I don't know the OP's class and it might well be fine for them.

16. emilystrange

i want to talk about the words used, what they think they mean from the sounds, maybe make up some nonsense words with meanings of their own. draw/make the jabberwocky, and the setting, not do an indepth analysis or write their own version.
    there's so much to imagine in there. my Y1/2s can certainly cope with that. YR - still to be seen how much they can cope with, but they can certainly make and talk about a scary monster of their own. it's how you pitch it...
    there will be plenty of time to look at Ning Nang Nong and other good nonsense!
    anyway, planning is nowhere near done yet, am just thinking.

17. emilystrange

would just like to say that the children absolutely loved their nonsense work, and the definitions they gave for some of the Jabberwocky words were amazing! they really thought hard about it. when they came to do a review of whichever poem they liked best, half chose Jabberwocky. I am also still grinning at the memory of their dance interpretations of 'gyre and gimble in the wabe'. classic! - but discussed, debated, considered and acted upon. what more can i ask?