1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nonsense word/spoken vocal repertoire

Discussion in 'Music' started by silverfern, Jan 15, 2012.

1. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Do you know the name of any 'nonsense word/spoken vocal' songs. Eg. Stephen Montague's 'Tigida Pipa' or the 'Drum Kit' from Voiceworks, Goldfrapp's 'Oh La La', 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' from Mary Poppins', 'Hey Jude' - the Beatles...
    Would like to use some more examples as comparison with Sprechstimme, Scat, Rap/Hip-Hop, Native American song, Scatman John (!)...
    Thanks.

2. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Do you know the name of any 'nonsense word/spoken vocal' songs. Eg. Stephen Montague's 'Tigida Pipa' or the 'Drum Kit' from Voiceworks, Goldfrapp's 'Oh La La', 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' from Mary Poppins', 'Hey Jude' - the Beatles...
    Would like to use some more examples as comparison with Sprechstimme, Scat, Rap/Hip-Hop, Native American song, Scatman John (!)...
    Thanks.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I don't have the book in from of me to check, but in Junior Voiceworks 1 there is a song called the Scoo be doo song which is just scat sounds I think, from memory.
    I think the song called Train Rhythms in Voiceworks 1 is also just sound words. Trying desperately to remember - but if you have the books you can check.
    A poem, rather then a song - The Loch Ness Monster's Song by Edwin Morgan:
    http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=1683

4. The chorus to (Bucket of the) Mountain Dew is nonsense (Hi de didldly idle i etc) - I think the song is in The Jolly Herring book.
    There are a number of traditional songs with nonsense choruses also have a look for "mouth music" from the Gaelic/Gallic tradition - Capercaille have certainly recorded some.
    You could ask for traditional examples on mudcat.

5. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Great scat version of Portsmouth FC footballers - a few years old now but good value.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8346DNPpbE

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

8. Hoodoo Voodoo - lyrics by Woody Guthrie performed by Wilco
    'Hoodoo voodoo, seven twenty one two

Haystacka hostacka, ABC

High poker, low joker, ninety-nine-a-zero

Sidewalk, streetcar, dance a goofy dance

Blackbirdy, bluejay, one, two, three, four

Trash sack, jump back, EFG