1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

non-words

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grape-juice, May 23, 2012.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If they were the alien's names then yes they would need a capital letter, fortunately this isn't the case.

2. Duges, I suppose the idea must be that it is the name of a species of alien, not the name of an individual of the species.[​IMG] The ramifications of using nonwords go on!

3. Surely if the 'nonsense word' is the name of an alien it should have a capital letter!
    No. Not true. As an acknowleded expert in alien orthography I can assure you that alien orthography does not recognise the concept of proper nouns - only abstract nouns. I thought everybody knew that! I wonder which planet the people who set the test come from? Its certainly not one I have ever visited.

4. Msz

Welcome to Earth Eddie [​IMG]

5. From my OED "A word is any of the sequences of one or more sounds intuitively recognized by native speakers as constituting the basic units of meaningful speech, used in forming sentences."
    It doesn't have anything for 'nonwords' or 'non-sense ' words because the idea of a word without meaning is, to us itinerant space travellers, a contradiction in terms designed to confuse childen and in many cases also, their teachers....and it seems to be succeeding..

6. Msz

The check uses the term "pseudo" Eddie
    Definition: pseudoword
    A fake word--that is, a string of letters that resembles a real word (in terms of its orthographic and phonological structure) but doesn't actually exist in the language.

7. Does it come to exist as soon as it is given a putative meaning in a phonics test? Does it then cease to be a pseudo word, invalidating the entire test? [​IMG]

8. Pseudoword does not appear in the OED that I have. I admit its the shorter OED but it does weigh more than 5 kilos I would guess. Nor does it appear in my online Collins.

9. Msz

pseudoword
    Definition - A word that is not an actual word in a language but appears to be because it respects the language's phonotactic restrictions.As opposed to a nonword, which is a word that does not respect the language's phonotactic restrictions, e.g. it uses sounds that do not exist in that language or is spelt in a way that is not permitted by the spelling rules of the language.

10. Haha, you mean like 'was'.I always thought pseudowords were pretentious ones (Like saying 'academy' for 'school').[​IMG]

11. Msz

no thumbie not like "was" as it follows the rules
    see you can learn something on TES you never know it may come up in a crossword or quiz [​IMG]

12. A word that is not an actual word

For me that says it all! In a 'profession' which routinely succeeds in consigning 20% of children to the dustbin of illiteracy every year inspite of a sequence of euraka strategies averaging one a decade which professes to be the Holy Grail of literacy, I think there is already enough confusion in the system. without teaching children words that are not actual words.

13. Which rules are those then?

14. pseudoword
    Definition - A word that is not an actual word in a language but appears to be because it respects the language's phonotactic restrictions.

Can you tell me the originator of that definition please Msz?

15. Msz

Dictionary of Language Terminology
    The online version is here

16. Msz

17. ?

18. Msz

That the letter <a> can represent the sounds "a" in cat "ai" in apron "ar" in father and "o" is wasp and want and watch and wand and was
    and the letter <s> can represent the sounds "s" in sat and "z" in cosy and daisy and legs and was

19. Well now - there's a really respected authority. The problem is that if I (or any itinerent space traveller) puts together a site with my own definitions, it would have the same validity as the one you quote ie none whatseover. Does it not occur to you that a 'profession' in which all of its practitioners are free to construct their own ad hoc definitions will inevitably alwags get ad hoc results and would you believe it - the statistics PROVE that we do always get ad hoc results.

I'm looking forward to reading your answer to Thumbie's question "Whose rules are these then?

20. So I did. Way back when. Apologies. However, that is not what the current posts are about. As this has become so personal, I think I'll stop wasting my time following this thread. Well, maybe, I'll pop in again to see it revives.[​IMG]